• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

lowering firewall

Started by ahopeter, January 08, 2004, 13:52 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ahopeter

i heard it is possible to lower firewall protection and allow in certain programs to get in... is this true? and how can i go about doing this? thanks
win xp w/ zone alarms firewall.
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

scuzzy

If you go into ZoneAlarm's settings, you'll see that you have various levels of protection that you can set. Also, you can click the programs tabs to allow specific programs various rights. You can adjust programs which previously requested access, as well as add new ones to the list.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

ahopeter

i addded the program that i wanted using the method that you told me, everything seemed fine but im still unable to let that program access the net without turning off the firewall.  help?!?
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

Whizbang

Go to Program Control under Programs and set the access permissions for any program you need to Trusted Zone, but only the ones you need.

ahopeter

all the fields were changed to allow but it still doesnt work without the firewall disable?  

should i turn the items back to disable for now?

Whizbang

Under Program Control, Program Wizard, set the status to "No" under the question, "Do you want ZA to preconfigure access permissions?  That will generate a popup on every program that tries to access Internet and give you the opportunity to set/deny permission for each one as access is attempted.

ahopeter

i did exactly what you said to do, but when i go back to ZA it is automatically reset to the "yes" option.... this is very frustrating.