• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Virus that disabled Google?

Started by Aaaahhh, September 18, 2004, 01:14 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaaahhh

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here's my question. I have been unable to use any google powered website (Yahoo search engine, Google search
engine, posting to Google newsgroups), for awhile now.  More recently when I've gone to Google I've gotten this message:

"404 Error  Page Not Found

A message from Server Admin:  Some people have reported arriving at our error page after typing in or clicking a link to a major search engine. After extensive research into the issue we have found that one of our server I.P. addresses has been targeted by a virus which you may have on your computer called "QHosts". This virus was made several months before we were allocated the server I.P. addresses we have now, and therefore we have no control over it (much to our dismay as it causes disruption to our servers on a regular basis, however it is gradually diminishing.) The Microsoft cumulative patch for this vulnerability is available here."

And there's a link to the Microsoft site. I've tried cleaning my computer of viruses using AVG and Avast! but it doesn't help. My question is, will downloading the Microsoft patch fix the problem, and is there any other way to fix the problem?

Thank you.

query

When you say "tried cleaning" - did either program find anything, and if so, did it remove it?  Did you follow up with the rest of the cleanup instructions (usually, you have to enter the registry and manually remove entries)?  Have you tried scanning with AdAware or Spybot Search and Destroy?

Have you tried an alternative browser such as Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox?

Aaaahhh

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I have found viruses with both AVG and Avast (more with Avast, strangely), and I think I did whatever they said to remove them, unless I'm missing something.

I am currently trying out Mozilla Firefox but it makes no difference.

Yep, I use AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, too.

query

What were the exact names of the viruses removed?

Most trojans and viruses these days can be removed but not eradicated by antivirus programs - as soon as you reboot, the registry entries are still there and your system ends up reinfected.  Check to make sure you followed the damage cleanup instructions to the letter.

Aaaahhh

Hi, I can't remember all the names of the viruses that I found on my computer. On Avast to remove them you either press "Heal" or if that doesn't work, you delete the file containing the virus. I don't exactly remember the instructions for AVG but unless I'm missing something it's fairly simple.

I run Avast and AVG every few days and usually I'm virus free. I just ran them again the other day and no viruses showed up (though Avast says there are some files it's "unable to scan"), but it makes no difference to  the google engines.

query

Re- run the scan in Safe Mode.  Very often, malware these days hides behind running processes that cannot be scanned.

As I wrote earlier, just scanning and removing  - or "healing" isn't enough - there may be registry entries and other damage that the antivirus programs cannot remove.

You may have a rogue hosts file, or some registry entries remaining - scan again, and check your antivirus logs to find out what was present, so you can go back and review the procedure for cleaning up the damage.

It is not enough to run antivirus programs every few days - you must choose one and leave it running in real time, all the time - or you'll get hit again.