• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

XP startup looking for floppy

Started by Gracie, October 22, 2004, 04:07 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Gracie

hello wonderful ones ( the sun just came out so I am feeling exhuberant  ;D )

a few days ago I ran Hardware Info on this XP Pro machine, from a floppy. I forgot to take the disk out of the drive, and next time I started  the machine it asked for it to be removed so it  could continue the boot, which I did.  Since then, every time it boots, we get  almost to the point where it requires your password, and an error message comes up saying  there is 'no disk' , meaning the floppy, and I have to press 'retry', 'cancel' or 'continue'  to get on  with the load.

It is a minor irritation but I would like to correct it . I tried running HWInfo again, cleaned the registry, fiddled around, but it is still coming up - any ideas how I might  fix it please?
Gracie :)

query

Try clearing the my documents menu (right- click on start, choose properties,  customize, and then clear).  Also check the startup items (msconfig).

Gracie

thanks Q, I had checked msconfig but not startup menu - I will reboot and come back with result

-----------------------------------------------

no, only difference was the message came up after the password screen instead of before it. Bother bother... what would look to see what was in Drive A  at that stage I wonder. Is it registry? Can't be BIOS - I haven't changed the boot sequence and anyway we are almost into desktop when this happens. Ho hum..

ingeborgdot

Try shutting down your machine and let it sit for 15 seconds.  Restart and see what happens.
Antec P182, Abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4GB Crucial Ballistix, Leadtek Winfast PX7900GSTDH, P & C silencer quad 750 watt, 3-Seagate Sata 500, HT Omega Claro, Altec Lansing ADA995 5.1 THX, Digital Doc 5+, 2 Samsung SATA DVD burners, Canopus ADVC50,Vista Ultimate Retail 64 Bit, Vista rating 5.9

Gracie

thanks Inge. Tried  a restart from cold early on without joy, however, I am pleased to say that the problem has now gone away.

I still don't know what caused it.  I found out that  others  have had similar experiences, not always with drive A, but otherwise the same. All sorts of suggestions were made - uninstalling Quick Time, checking for a virus, removing floppy drive and controller from device manager, none of which solved it for me, but THIS one did..

put your OS disk ( XP Pro for me) in the disk drive
go to start-run
type in sfc/ scannow

let Windows check the original files

sorted!

It took a while and I went away, and when I came back the job was done and the problem gone.

Chandler

It sounds like Windows XP wasn't happy with some files, so automatically invoked system file protection, but as it couldn't find the Windows CD it tried the floppy.

Gracie