• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

exporting .reg keys

Started by sentofuno, June 17, 2008, 07:19 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

sentofuno

i found the key i wanted to export, highlighted it, and exported the key. if i open it up in notepad it appears to have exported the entire folder, not just the one change i wanted.

if i delete any lines i don't want and save, and import it will it import the key i want or will it wipe that folder in the registry and replace it with just the key i specified?

sorry if its a dumb question but this is the registry after all..

Buffalo2102

I'm not entirely sure what you are seeing but I don't think you will see just a single key in a registry backup file - the folder structure has to be backed up also. This is so that if you want to do a restore, the key can be replaced in exactly the same place in the registry tree.

Personally, I wouldn't risk messing with it if I might want to import it later....

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

sentofuno

sorry for the late reply, i didn't realize anyone had responded

i am trying to change some pc's to enable verbose shutdown messages - verbosestatus in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
System]

i have no way of knowing what else is in that folder in the registry of any given machine, so if i restore the folder i have exported i don't know if it will overwrite something important when i import it on another machine. i just want the one entry to be added/changed

thanks for replying sorry i'm so late in responding