• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

mirc?

Started by ahopeter, June 30, 2004, 03:34 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ahopeter

my nephew is staying with me for a little while.  hes also been using my computer.  he has been using a program called mirc? hes says its a chat thing.  now, do i have anything to worry about with this?  i am sure you all know i am pretty clueless when it comes to computer things.  my nephew assures me he is not doing anything bad or illegal...but what is the truth? is this just another kaaza type situation (i.e. illegal program)? thanks everyone.
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

Igloo

no, it isnt, its just an IRC chat program, that poeple use to cat with, i use it alot, and there are not anyproblems with it on my XP system...

its not illegal, just chatting, byut make sure that he doesnt meet anyone he talks to on there!!!!! u know about people disappearing!!
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

ahopeter

great, thanks for letting me know.  i was worried he was doing something bad that could possibly get us both in deep trouble.  

do i need to worry about viruses from the site?

i'll definitely monitor who he is talking to. thanks for the advice.
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

pat

You could browse through some of these.
mirc exploits
mirc virus
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Igloo

its not run through a site, it runs through an irc server. if you just watch what he does, and run a firewall / antivirus programme, it should all be okies!! ;D
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

ahopeter

thank you for all your help gentlemen.  i have all the necessary precautions up and running.  just wanted to ask the experts cause ive never seen a program like that before. thanks again!

Igloo

thats ok, asnytime ;D
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Korny_kid71

I unno if this is 2 late but I used 2 have mirc a long time ago. Apparently it deleted my dll files on the computer, which eventually forced me to format. When I did some research as to why this had happened I found out that this happened to others as well, it turns out that if you have kazaa running at the same time mirc is, mirc does some crazy things and deletes a whole bunch of files. I don?t know if this is still true because as I said this was a very long time ago so I?m guessing the problem was fixed. (note: downloading wasn?t such a big issue in Canada then)

P.S. mirc can also be used as Kazaa or any downloading program, all what you need to do is find the right IRC Channel and download w/e you want

Igloo

that is definately not the case now, they both work hand in hand, although i hardly ever use kazaa anymore....
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Korny_kid71

yea i though it would be fixed, but after that experince with both kazaa and mirc im never ganna be using thoes again :P :)

ahopeter

thanks for the "heads up", appreciate it.

Igloo

true, it was probably kazaa's fault, never had a problem with mirc though, its a good program, and free ;D
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

saoirse

mIRC is released as shareware, for a 30-day trial period - so it's not 'free'.  Registration will cost you $20.

Lots of virii use IRC as a medium.  Keep your system patched, antivirus and firewall running and use DCC wisely.

saoirse

Igloo

i think u'kll find i said that, up there somewere ^^^, i got my mIRC a while ago, when i didnt have to register....
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

ahopeter

Quote from: saoirse on July 14, 2004, 14:44 hrs
mIRC is released as shareware, for a 30-day trial period - so it's not 'free'.  Registration will cost you $20.

Lots of virii use IRC as a medium.  Keep your system patched, antivirus and firewall running and use DCC wisely.

saoirse

whats DCC? i have antivirus and firewall...any other precautions to take...not just for irc, but for everyday use? thanks

saoirse

Quote from: Igloo on July 14, 2004, 15:19 hrs
i think u'kll find i said that, up there somewere ^^^, i got my mIRC a while ago, when i didnt have to register....

Nope, I don't see that  ::)

Ahopeter, DCC is the method of file transfer within IRC.  Some people may send you DCC requests containing viruses and other nasties.  mIRC should block them automatically, on your behalf.  Many file types are now commonly ignored by the client.  If you turn off auto-ignore, just be careful.  Do not accept DCC requests from users unknown to you.  As with all chat programs, do not give out any personal information, or information which can in turn, be misused.    

saoirse

ahopeter

thanks saoirse, appreciate the advice.