• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, November 21, 2000, 13:17 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Hey Q,

I've been giving this a lot of thought, but unfortunately I can't understand what may be causing your problem. However, have you taken a look in MSCONFIG? If not, run the command MSCONFIG and see if the "program" is listed in there anywhere. If so, uncheck it to see if it helps.

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

QQQ

Hi Scuzzy,

Sorry I haven't been around in a while.

This one had me stumped for a while.  I inadvertantly found the source of the problem.  While installing a game, for some reason, it created a directory called Program.  And it also did something to cause this newly created directory to load when I booted, even though it was not listed in start up. Grrrrrr.

I deleted the directory and so far there don't seem to be any ill effects from this action.

QQQ

Yesterday morning my sys was making an unusual noise--it was probably an alarm related to a mbd error.  The monitor did not have a discernable image--there was just a streak across the middle third.  I hit the reset button and let scan disk do it's thing.

Aside from a lost chain, no errors were found. Ran diagnostics on the integrity of the hdd surface and all is fine.  Defragged even though 97% was not fragmented. Went through all of the bells and whistles Norton has to offer.

All is fine, except for a new occurance when I boot.  After windows loads a window pops up.  It is the program window with my games directory in it.  I do the three finger salute and in the list of programs running it identifies it as PROGRAM.  

The only things in my startup folder are Norton System Works and the Mixer for my sound card.

This is more of an annoyance than anything else.  How do I keep this from starting?  Thanx.