• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Joanie, November 30, 2000, 21:47 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanie

Hi Joe,

My 2001 upgrade for the virus program was 39.95 with a ten dollar rebate. Their was no charge for delivery as I recall.

Pete purchased his at one of the Best Buy or Circut City stores and I think the end result was they owed him, or it was like 10.00.

If your reading this Pete please let Joe know where you bought your update.

It is excellent Joe, their best virus program yet. It upgrades when your on-line.

Joanie

QQQ

Hi Joe,

I don't know what they would charge.  But, then again, I never subsribed to their service.  I just use the live update feature on the program once a month.  I got an error once stating my 1 year had expired and I was not able to use the live update feature that time, but there is a page from which you can manually dl the updates.

If you are getting more than the updated virus definitions from your subscription check their site for the subscription renewal fee.  If all you are getting with your subscription is the virus definition updates, save yourself some $$.

But, if you really want to spend it, you could send it to the admins.

Hmmm, could that be considered a tax deductable charitable contribution?

Joe

>>save yourself some $$.

Yes, QQQ, I like to save some money when I can.  I also suspect a lot of folks just uninstall the program from their hard drive, and then reinstall the program from the disc and it will work.

Joe

P.S. to Joanie:  Yes, I too use Norton Anti-virus and find it excellent.  Thanks.

n/a

Hey, Joe.

I paid either $3.95 or $4.95 for the year's subscription. I think it was $3.95.

I've heard some folks just change their registration date (I'm not sure how that works) rather than pay anything. As long as it stays reasonable, I don't mind paying.

Bear

-LearningasfastIcan-

query

One way or another, you end up paying - either a subscription fee or for a new version of the software.  You can, with Norton, still manually download and install updates without Live Update, and for free.

scuzzy

Hey Bear,

Folks get around the free subscription deadline by uninstalling, then reinstalling NAV. When they reinstall the program, they renew the registration, thus getting another free subscription period.

However, as query already mentioned, you can manually download the updates free of charge.

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Eric Johnson

The Symantec subscription charge is due to an IRS ruling. Symantec did not want to do this but had no choice. However, when confronted by the dialog box telling you that your free period is over, select the choice that talks about learning more about the subscription service. You then can follow a set of choices that lets you get the updates for free. It's nothing more than a minor bother and certainly better than removing NAV and then re-installing.

Eric Johnson

Toller@Compuserve.com

Pete

Subscription renewal (after one full year use) is $3.95,cheap enough

I like the Live Update feature which downloads and installs auto.

To see when your subscription started and when it ends , open AV, click Help, then click on Norton Antivirus tab. The info will be displayed

Pete
Pete

Joe

I've just gone ahead and renewed the subscription on-line for $3.95 plus tax.  It's as easy as pie to do:  just give them a credit card # and they shoot you a subscription verification number for immediate download of virus def. update.  In the past I've also done the uninstall/reinstall approach of the software in order to get outdated software to work; but, at 3.95 I'll support their program this time around.  Thanks.

Joe

Joanie

Hey Joe,

Norton is easy all the way around. I love the way 2001 automatically does its thing when I am online. It live updates itself.

Happy New Year.

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

Joe

I'm getting a message on my Norton Anti-virus program to call them for the cost of a renewal of my subscription.  Anybody know what they will quote for this?

Joe