• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by John, November 28, 2000, 12:42 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

John

First question what kind of computer is it. Notebook or Desktop.  If it's a notebook as you are at work then it might be a power problem.  If it is a notebook then turn it over and look on the bottom for the model # ie TS30I or whatever. Let us know.   John

Cogito Ergo Sum

QQQ

A few questions.....

Do you have the system plugged into one of those power/ surge strips with 6 outlets? If so, do you have a printer (especially laser) and/ or scanner also either plugged into that power strip OR the same wall outlet as the power strip?

If so, the sys may not be getting adequate power.

First of all, throw away that surge strip. Or at least do not use it for your computer.  It is nothing more than a glorified extension cord and does not provide any real surge protection for your system.

If you have a laser printer, do not plug it in the same wall outlet you use for your system (or even on the same circuit used by that outlet).  Laser printers require a lot of energy and may not funtion properly (print garbage characters, etc.) or may cause abberations in your computer.

If you have a desktop system you may want to check the power supply and front case fan (if you have one) to make sure they are free from dust, dirt and other debris and that the system is adequately ventilated and cooled.

scuzzy

Hey QQQ,

I disagree with you on the surge protector thingy. I do believe that most people use "glorified extension cords", though. Surge protectors do work, but people need to invest in something decent. (I recall that about 4 or 5 years ago Consumer Reports had a write-up on how to buy a quality surge protector.)

At work, we use Tripp Lite's "Isobar" surge protectors, which are of very high quality. They sell for about $60 each. At home, I use Waber's DataGard series; also very high quality. I don't remember what model I use, but they're about $70 a pop. I also have a Kensington MasterPiece, which cost about $100.

At our church, we were having problems with our sound equipment due to the fierce lightning storms we get. Part of the problem included popping sounds through the speakers. So, about 3 yrs ago, I installed a Tripp Lite for protection. Since installing the surge protector, we haven't had anymore problems.

Most people buy the $10 or $20 surge protectors. I suppose they're better than nothing at all, but not by much. Of course, others buy "power strips", which are *totally* worthless for protecting equipment of any kind.

By the way, on a single outlet, I have my Dell desktop, 17" monitor, one laser printer, one ink jet printer, one scanner, powered speakers, powered wireless modem/antenna, and an electric pencil sharpener plugged in. (The CPU and monitor are hooked up through an APC UPS.) I've never had a problem because of this setup.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

QQQ

Perhaps I should have been more specific in my use of the words "surge protector." I was referring to the stip outlets (typically labeled as surge protectors) that usually cost between $6 - $20, not the one's made by APC, Tripp Lite or the other quality mfrs.

Many people buy the inexpensive "surge protectors" believing they are being protected when the reality of the situation is that the lesser quality "surge protectors" are actually rendered useless by the power fluctuations that occur on a daily basis.

Sorry for the confusion this may have caused.

I am surprised to hear you have all of those things connected to one outlet and are not experiencing any problems.  That was not my experience when I did ts for a company which made laser printers.

Joanie

Hey Kitty Kat,

That is pretty Cool you have all of that plugged into one outlet. The instructions that came with my HP printer said not to plug the printer into the same outlet as the other equipment. Go figure.

Joanie

kalexo1

My system is a desk top the model number is QP6/400 SM-4X SE.  As for what my system is connected to is a Tripp-Lite Omnismart 675 UPS.  I hope that this helps.

kalexo1

I'm looking for the beep codes for my Quantex Computer.  I have problems on booting the machine.  The beeps that are comming out of the machine is a series of 8 consecutive short beeps followed by a short pause of 5 to 8 seconds the 2 consecutive short beeps then a pause of 1 to 2 seconds then 1 short beep.  The moniter screen is blank thru the whole process.  It takes a few attempts to finally get the machine going.  My system has the intel 400 CPU in it.  I don't have the model # cause I'm doing this at work.  Any suggestion?  I would appricate any help.