• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, November 24, 2000, 09:34 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Normally, it's safe. I'm not familiar with anyone having a problem with plugins, such as Macromedia Shockwave. However, there are some that "phone home" about your internet activities, and others that are downright arrogant, such as Comet Cursor (which I dispise), that install themselves without your permission.

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Joanie

Carol if you have a Virus program that scans in the background you are safe and even without that plug-in's are usually free from virus.

Norton works great and it will also check you e-mail.

Joanie

Carol

Thanks,for the info. I do have Norton 2001 running.

It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

QQQ

To get rid of the spyware found in many programs, get Ad-Aware.  

If possible, get one of the older versions.  It seems the latest release has a bug in the programming and is not detecting/ eliminating the Comet Cursor.  I haven't checked, but since this was brought to their attention shortly after release, they may have fixed the problem by now.

If you can't find an older version (3.x), post a reply.

Carol

Thanks.  I found a 3.61 and also a 4.01 that said something about having some fixes in it. Is this a safe and easy progam to use?  Don't want to use anything that I might not be sure what to tell it to do, especially in removing things.

It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

Carol

Sometimes some of internet sites we go to require a plug in.  Is it usually pretty safe to go ahead and download the plug in?

Thank you.