• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

US Elections

Started by Buffalo2102, October 14, 2004, 15:17 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo2102

The US presidential election seems to be getting far more coverage than usual in the UK right now.  Probably due to the whole Iraq thing and the Bush/Blair "special relationship".  What are things like in the 'States?  Does anyone perceive any major differences with this election or will we see the usual voter apathy that seems to accompany this sort of election these days?

Some correspondents over here seem to think that it may be tight and that Kerry has a chance.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Ace

In answer to your inquiry, while still practicing political restraint (wouldn't say I'm "correct", although of course I'm right):

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No

Voter registration, and resulting turnout, appear to be high.  There are such dramatic differences between the two primary candidates (although their actions would likely turn out surprisingly similar, after the fact...) it causes a more dramatic "polarization" than I think we typically see, and more of a passionate core group of supporters.  The undecided I think will, and that will sway it, with a more than usual participation (particularly among the young..).

When is Blair up for reelection?

Ace; they oughta have you vote by phone, like they do in American Idol or Last Comic Standing.. "Hey, dangit, I can't get through and I've been trying for 20 dang minutes.."
Ring bells for service.

halokid

well i feel there are several "new factors" that make this election different
1. terrorist/Iraq controversy
2. Fereinheit 9-11 movie
3. NBC's mistake of announcing official documents   that arent official.
4. Conspiracy theories
5. divide of the nation between moral definition.
6. Seperation between church and state

all these factorsi believe will increase voter turn out..
by how much is undetermined, what would be a good way to predict voter turn out and outcome would be to check the voter turnouts in history of times of war, the depression, arms race etc.

then there is the flop side to this that people are sickened to wat is happening and dont like either candidates.

Whizbang

Due to the obvious "hot potato" nature of this issue and the pre-conceived bias, I would limit my answer to say that this election is the most important one ever.  If you love freedom, search out the answer to this question:  Which major party do most former and present American Communist Party members hate?

Ace

Criminy, they must be the last communists left on earth.

I think with the question of freedom it pays to ask "whose"... ours, and who else in the world?

Ace; get the oven mitts.
Ring bells for service.

Chandler

Quote from: Ace on October 14, 2004, 16:38 hrsWhen is Blair up for reelection?

I don't know, but I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for yet.  The current government tends to favour dolies and tax dodgers more than hardworking citizens (who have to pay for these low-lifes).  Crime is constantly increasing and there is an obsession with putting speed cameras everywhere.

Buffalo2102

I hear that Chandler.

One the things that gets my back up is the whole pensions fiasco.  We were all advised years ago to take out private pensions and opt-out of the state earnings-related scheme.  Private pensions are now de-valued and Blair's solution is to make us all work until we are seventy!  Whaaa?

As far as the US elections go, I think Kerry seems just too smooth, too like Blair.  Just imagining the two of them in the same room makes me feel sick.

Nice to see me judging people by their policies, eh? ;D
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

pat

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll

Because, two things equal to the same thing are never equal to each other.

Color me blue.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Mark H

Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Chandler

...4 more years of Bush it is then....

Ace

Even though the votes haven't been counted...  
"Hurry up and don't wait."

Ace; haste makes
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Unfortunately for Bush, another 4 years is the best he can hope for. If he tries to run again in 2008, it probably won't go over well. At least not with the Left Coast.

My biggest concern is that Osama Bin Ladel will make another video tape. How scary. Talk about a has been. Used-to-be. Loser. He's gotta be tired from all the bending over he's been doing in the last 3 years.  :-X

I'm guessing Osama voted for Kerry as a protest vote against Bush.

Scuzzy; I thought we were still counting the Florida votes from 2000
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Bill

Well there are some that are still lamenting the Florida votes in 2000.

If you compare the election results map, by state, in 2000 with this year's they appear  identical.  
So while the faces change and the wheels go 'round,  the collective set of leopards didn't change any spots.  The apparent influx of newly registered voters, presumably the younger generation,  net, net  had no real impact on the ultimate outcome of the election.  

The presumption that the young, new voters bothered to register to force change or that, by definition, they would vote for Kerry was wrong.

My only complaint about this election is that the concession speech should have come sooner.

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

The young are typically ignorant.  

Ace; maybe next time we can have a concession speech before the election since points don't matter.  Whose Line Is It
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

QuoteMy only complaint about this election is that the concession speech should have come sooner.

Could have done with being a bit shorter as well in my opinion.

"OK, I give up" would have done the job.

Ace

After months of campaigning and millions spent and a bitter/divisive election that garnered 55,557,584 votes for 2nd place with one state still not counted (see "Iowa") and another that never got to the provisional ballots (see "Ohio") in the rush to "have it over with"

"Ok, I give up"

Would somehow not seem appropriate, sensible, suitable nor presidential.  The concession speech occured in the morning after, after results to date were analyzed and staff met.  Why not just go with "see ya."  That'd be shorter still, for the impatient.  Maybe just "bye."

Ace; bye.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Senators are never brief and to the point.  Generally a lot like Jesters, lots of words, commas and semicolons but not substance.
It is a job required skill.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

I suppose people who don't know many words don't use many.

Ace; the commas, and semicolons take some skill.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Bubba could educate us on commas,,,,,,,,,,, if he were here.

It bothers me that the media was so intent on telling us who won, before anyone lost. I would also hate to have voted in Iowa, just to have the winner determined before my vote was looked at. Why bother then? It seems the real losers are Iowanians.

Regarless of party line, there are still too many holes in our electoral process that need fixin', not patchin'. I'd like to see the media stay out it completely, but that will never happen. Something about the First Amendment.

I did not support Kerry, but - had it been the other way around - I would not have been happy if Bush had conceded before all the votes were counted, in such a close race. I understand why people are upset, and I understand why Kerry waited as long as he did to concede. Especially after one considers the 2000 election fiasco. I also recognize that it must have been extremely difficult for him to do so.

In a world where everyone wants everything right now, I guess we get what we deserve.

Scuzzy; I voted, but not in Iowa
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Bill

OK, maybe I should have said pauses.

A keyboard is all that is required; correct usage, in today's world, is optional.

I wonder if "the media" isn't, at least partly, responsible for the general insistence on knowing everything right now.
CNN's war coverage, for example.  Or, Court TV.
One might speculate that they are meeting a market need.   I would suggest they created the market.

They can, so they do.

Munki

Bush cant run in 2008........ term limits set to two terms.

Ace

Good point.  Scuzzy should have mentioned that earlier.

Does the Queen get a term limit..?  I sorta hope Monarchs don't get a term limit, since I compute with one.  I think past members of the royal family were terminated pretty suddenly, and I'd have to think they didn't have a lot of time to spend on a "farewell" or "I'm outta here" speech.  Probably just a "Gack..." and that was the end of their say.

Ace; I wonder how short her "I give up" speech will be.  Maybe we could just use an acronym, like "IGU."  Of course, that could sound a lot like "Igloo" and cause some confusion right there.  
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

I don't think the Queen has a term limit.  I dont' even remember when she was elected.
I think she'll carry on until she dies.  As long as she is in better shape than the pope then she should be OK.

I think that when she does "step down" or whatever monarchs do, she should just say "Over to you Charlie" or "It's all your's Chaz".  That would be cool.

Ace

We almost had a King ourselves, here.  Back when, before the war...

I guess "Take it away, Dubya!" would have been ok for Kerry.  Although I'm still having a hard time envisioning him saying something like that.

I think any job you have to hold onto until death is asking for trouble.  Pope, King/Queen, Supreme Court Justice.  You know, you have to figure the statute (I almost went with "statue" but with the typos this week I gotta figure no one would pick up on it anyway) of limitations is gonna kick in on anybody.

ace; I'm glad Jester has a term limit.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

The only limit on the Jester's term is the life expectancy of the Monarch.

Its a life sentence....Old Jesters don't die , they just stop booting.

Ace

The Chatroom has a multiple-party system.  You can see that everytime somebody has a birthday anniversary celebration.

I'm not too concerned if I'm up for re-election.  I gotta figure Trav will run against me, but he's seldom here anyway.  I can run more negative ads than he can, plus rig the election.  He's probably more recognizable than me, but I don't know that's an advantage.  If I could get the dang Fotopage link to work I could run bulb necked mirror shots, too.  Otherwise, most voters will just figure I look like one of the Lord of the Ring characters.

I've got the "kill the stinking pandas, they stink" vote locked up, I'd think.

Fear works well in an election; figure out what people are most afraid of, then convince them you'll keep it away.  After pandas, I'd believe fat-pantsed obese SQUIRRELS!!!! would be right up there.  I'll offer to stand between them, and them, with peanuts.

To win the overseas vote I'd just have to get a majority from saiorse, Chandler, Iggy and Buff.  Maybe bribe them with pickles, or something.  The locals would be a tough sell, though.  

Oh; hey, I know.  A campaign promise.  One of those you make, and they'll think you'll keep...  I know just the one:

"Re-Elect Ace As Poaster's Eternal Jester and He Will Not Poast Nor Make Up Any More JOkes."  Let's see dude try to top that one.  Criminy, he'd have to promise to give up smiley faces to match that.

ace; especially the jokes that are longer than senator's speak.
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

Well, you've got my vote - no condiments required.

Ace

Thank you.  In the interest of brevity, if not impatience, I shall expect trav to concede immediately if not sooner.

Ace; hurry up.  C'mon.  Enough, already.  What are ya waitin' for.  Get a move on.  Criminy, speed it up, willya.  Make it short.  Go.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

ACE WINS!, by default.  Trav's provisional ballot was disqualified because, well it was provisional -on him showing up.

Absent, not here and otherwise missing.  
NO contest.  No concession required, in absentia.

Now let's try and keep the acceptance speech short.

Ace

Ok; and now, in the interest of impatience, I shall declare victory before the votes are in.

I don't see that it's my fault, though.  Criminy, I'm the incumbent.  "Stay the course."  "Don't change babies midstream." "I got us into this mess, so I'm the one who can get us deeper."  "Don't change horses if the stream gets deep."  "I've taken the high road, unlike my sleazebag opponent and his (#(!@ attack ads."

Alright.  The speech.  I'll go with the short, and sweet, then.  Okay.

Thanks. Really.

Ace: I approve this message.
Ring bells for service.