• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

new computer recommendations

Started by ahopeter, June 01, 2004, 00:07 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ahopeter

hi...i was in the market for a new computer...basically the only things i care about is that it is a pc not a mac... and that its "well priced"...basically cheap ;D

anyone have any suggestions on where i can get a trustworthy computer for a good price?

and is celeron okay, or should i get a pentium 4?

thanks everyone.
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

Carskick

If you are looking for a cheap computer, go for an Athlon XP. It will cost similarily to a Celeron, but give you performance comparable to Pentium 4. If you want to build your own computer, we can help give you advice on parts. If you want a premade system, I'd reccomend HP, as they give you good customization options, low prices, and a high quality, reliable PC. Give us more info, and we'll give you more info. Good luck!
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

ahopeter

wow thanks for the great reply, and the further help!  im not to good with computers so i think a premade machine is what i need.  like i said, i dont really have many things i need.  my girlfriend is going to be using the net and microsoft word...thats about it.
so ill look into hp...any good sites to check out...anything you recommend i get or need? thanks again...i really appreciate it!
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

pat

Take a look at Reseller Ratings.
There are several vendors that get some excellent ratings on systems as well as service and support after the sale. Monarch Computer is one highly rated vendor.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Carskick

Wow. I just realized HP now gives you a choice between the Nvidia Nforce2 chipset and the Via chipset for Athlon XP computers that are named the a530e and the a510e, respectively. I'd go for the a530e.

To get there, go to HP.com , click Home and Home office, then browse products, then hp pavilion desktops, then HP pavilion PCs, then the one that has the model number a530e. Now customize away. Find what suits you best.

They're having some great deals on this system right now, including free DVD+RW upgrade! Here's an example the might be right for you. I am assuming you don't need a monitor or speakers, but you can get those with this computer on the customization page.

Athlon XP 3000+
MS Windows XP home
512MB PC2700 RAM (2 DIMMs)
80GB 7200 RPM HDD
8X DVD+RW/+R
16x max DVD-ROM Drive
Floppy Drive
Integrated MX graphics
Integrated 5.1 sound
Keyboard and Optical Mouse
Microsoft works

A great buy I think. I gave you integrated graphics because for your purposes, the integrated MX should be sufficent. Then you can always upgrade to practicly any AGP 8x graphics card you want if you feel you need a better one.

I bought a similar HP a year ago, the one that's in my signature, except it only had a 2600+, CD-ROM, and CD-RW and was $600 back then, so your getting a better deal than I got!   :)
But back to my point, I didn't like their prices and choices of video cards, plus I didn't want to spend as much money alll at once, so I just bought it with the integrated MX, and was very happy with it. Even as a gammer, it could play many of last years games at full detail without lagging. Then a few months latter I got my FX5600 Ultra as an upgrade, which makes it even better. But for internet and Word processing, the integrated MX should be fine. Good luck to ya!
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Nestor

Very not bad ------^^^^^

Good choices, but I would have swapped the DVD burner for a 52x32x52 CDRW, I don't see the need for a DVD burner until the media stabilizes and the burning capacity goes up to at least 16x.
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM

ahopeter

gentleman...thanks for the help once again.

Pat, im looking into the link for "monarchs" you provided...looks good, thanks.  im sure if you say i can trust the product, that i can trust it.

Carskick, thanks for the help and reference to hp, im checking them out as well.  appreciate all the support.  the prices are great too!

i guess dell is over-rated huh?

Mark H

Dell isn't bad for a home machine. They aren't the best to upgrade in the future, but they aren't bad. I personally like to build my own PCs. I don't think you can go wrong with Dell, HP, or Monarch among others.  Just check the reseller ratings.

Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

ahopeter

thanks for the advice Mark H.

Pat...i think monarch isnt for me... i dont know what half the stuff on there is, when configuring. ;D

but im really liking the reseller link! thanks

Carskick

Quote from: Nestorath69 on June 01, 2004, 10:46 hrs
Very not bad ------^^^^^

Good choices, but I would have swapped the DVD burner for a 52x32x52 CDRW, I don't see the need for a DVD burner until the media stabilizes and the burning capacity goes up to at least 16x.

The only reason I put a DVD Burner was that HP is currently giving a free upgrade from CD-RW to DVD+RW, so why not?

I believe Dell has gotten very hot headed lately. They're quality is similar to HP, yet they're prices are usually 5-20% higher for a nearly identicle system. They also refuse to sell AMD products, and they train they're representitives to preach that. My first computer was a dell, and it was a great for a 486DX/66,but now they just charge too much for what they give you. I've owned 3 HPs, and all still work well, while 2 of them are over 5 years old. The worse thing an HP has ever don to me was a CPU fan dieing, but the CPU continued to work for over year until the problem was noticed. Gateway's prices aren't any better than Dell's, and I've never seen or used one of their computers I liked. I see problems with them all the time. I will probably build my next system, but if you want a good prebuilt system for a good price, HP is the way to go.

query

Before you consider HP, you may want to check out the reputation of its support -- it is pretty awful.

I would find a good, local shop and have them build you a PC before I'd go for HP.  If you must buy pre-built, I'd go for eMachines, Gateway or Dell before HP - HP has cut too many corners on fundamental components like power supplies.

Dell has indeed dropped a bit in support - but its component quality, particularly where power supplies are concerned, is an order of magnitude better than that of HP.

Carskick

What is wrong with HP power supplies? They use, and have for many years, Belkin, a brand name in power supplies, as well as cabling. They're representitives aren't that great, but no ones is anymore. As far as servicing their equipment, I've had the best experience from HP than any company for anything. When my iPAQ had a defective headphone jack, they airmailed me a box and sticker specially made for it, gave me a phone number to call to airmail it at no charge to me directly back to HP. The promoptly replaced the entire mainboard and had the product back to me almost immediately. The entire process took about 4-5 days, and cost me nothing. Out of the 3 HPs I have, none of them have had power supply problems. I am stumped, why are so many people against HP? As far as watt ratings, they are currently 250watts for practicly all their machines, which is low, but PSUs in Dell machines are rated at the exact same wattage, even their higher end 8300s. As far as their other components, I've seen Asus motherboards, Western Digital Hard Drives, Mitsumi optical drives, etc. Of course they don't have the fanciest cooling systems or loads of wattage available in their PSU, but unless you want to buy a high end premade machine, such as an Alienware, or build your own, I'd say HP is your best bet. I agree with query that you should shop around locally and see what they offer. But from the loads of research I did last year when I was looking for my computer, I found it was very hard to beat HP in the Price/Performance/Quality ratio.

query

I think you'll find most HPs use Bestec power supplies, not Belkin.  All I know is that of several hundred Dells at work, we have had one failed power supply, whereas students bring in Pavilion and Evo/Presario systems with faulty power supplies routinely.

pat

Not trying to start a flame war here, but consider a computer like one from Monarch.
Very high rating for service and support. Industry standard, off the shelves parts, a very positive thing if you end up upgrading parts in the future. Each computer sold is made to your specifications.
Hp, Dell and other big box makers.
It?s becoming very common for tech support to be outsourced to other countries. Proprietary non-standard parts can make upgrades and repairs a headache. In HP?s case they receive a very low 1.43 rating out of 10 at reseller ratings. In all fairness though that?s only out of 43 respondents. There rating has risen somewhat lately in PcWorld to a fair and fair reliability and service, they where at fair and poor.

Those are just a few considerations I would make if I were to buy a computer already put together.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

ahopeter

thanks for all the suggestions and helpful places to look! mcuh appreciated.  i think i am going to check out a local shop and see what they have to offer...thanks everyone!

iansl

If you want to go basic, take a look at the $299 or $329 eMachines deals from TigerDirect. They'll have enough horsepower to do what you want them to, and they'll be dirt cheap compared to practically everything out there.

I'm also not trying to start a flame, but the guy
Quotedon't knowwhat half the stuff there is
, so I think he should stick with a more basic customization, like that of HP's PCs, or use a totally prebuilt (eMachines) machine.
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz 20" w\4GB RAM, LP1965 LCD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro
Macbook Air 1.6GHz 80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro, SuperDrive addon

The man, the mac user, the cell phone

ahopeter

cool, ill definitely check out tigerdirect too.  thanks