• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

headset or mic?

Started by ahopeter, January 12, 2004, 14:05 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ahopeter

i want to have phone conversations over the net, but i dont have a mic( i think)... any recommends on what headset i should buy?  and does my dell desktop come witha built in  microphone? thanks
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

Chandler

With Windows XP, Messenger uses Acoustic Echo Cancellation for AC97 compliant sound cards (i.e. most PCI and onboard based).  It may also work for USB soundcards but only where the mic input and output are on the same device.

The AEC feature allows you to use a Microphone - Normally you can't do this with speakers on because you get feedback loops.  So, a basic microphone with a 3.5mm jack will do the job, it just plugs into your sound card (red connector usually).

Mark H

I would think any that are comfortable for you to where would be fine. Desktops don't have the mics built-in. They will have the input for the mic, but not the mic itself.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

ahopeter

cool, thanks for the accurate and quick replies.
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

ahopeter

where is the red connector plug found,, on the back of my dell or on the inside?  

Mark H

It would be on the back of your PC.

Mark H

ahopeter

thanks MarkH., i know i was a stupid question.

Mark H

Quote from: ahopeter on January 12, 2004, 21:28 hrs
thanks MarkH., i know i was a stupid question.

No problem! In this forum, we look at it as if there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Mark H

ahopeter

Chandler

I've just re-read my poast and realized that it is almost complete jibberish! :-[

What I meant to say was that:

Ordinarilly if you use a microphone at the same time as speakers, you will get feedback from the person speaking at the other end.  This can add up and get louder and louder.  Windows XP eliminates this problem for most sound cards by cancelling these echos (I don't know how it works, I presume it removes the sounds its playing from the recorded sample).
If you do get feedback loops, then you will need to use headphones, or a combined headset/microphone unit.

But with Windows XP, provided that your speakers aren't too loud, you can probably use a microphone.

ahopeter

haha...thanks for clarifying!