• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

System for making remote backups etc.

Started by Llhweiir, June 24, 2008, 13:34 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Llhweiir

My father has enlisted me to help him create a system for making backups. This is  what my father and I want the system to be, and to be able to do. I am pretty sure it can be done, but I need some help finding the right hardware for the job.

1) Consist of two RAID 1 drives - ie providing basic redundancy
2) Stay connected to the internet at all times, protected behind firewalls etc.
3) Allow physical access through wire when he works at home - allowing him to save and access important files.
4) Allowing access through the internet when working away from home - allowing him to save and access important files.

Any pointers in the right direction is very much appreciated!

Buffalo2102

Your best bet would be something like this - http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/Networking-Products/sc895/p725.aspx

It is designed to do everything you need, although you will have to think about your home network and how you want to remotely access files etc.  It looks like this unit offers a ftp server and if that is good enough then you're good to go.

Another option is to build a cheap PC and run something like IIS or Apache and put the files in a password protected folder.  That would be more difficult and more expensive (unless you've got old bits lying around) but would give you more control and make remote access easier.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Llhweiir

Could this be what I am looking for - or is it just a more expensive version of what Buff suggested?

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Storage/ReadyNASDuo.aspx

Buffalo2102

It's basically the same, it's just provided with the HDDs inside whereas the one I pointed out is just the enclosure - you have to buy the HDDs separately.  I think the Netgear one is aimed mainly at small businesses and so costs more.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.