• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

The Dead Poast

Started by scuzzy, May 16, 2004, 11:17 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Dangit, Ludd, you completely lost me there and usually I do that myself.  I'm thinking "Denny Crane... who the heck is Denny Crane.. I know that name... was that the guy in Hogan's Heroes?... "  So I looked it up and thought "D'Oh!" That Denny Crane.  Criminy.

Maybe Scuzzy can make up a tune with "He'll be coming 'round the chatroom, when he comes..."  I guess hearing a dingaling before I appear is appropriate.   I haven't been on a bender, for awhile.

Ace; "for whom the bells toll".. bell tolls....
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Must be a first! A reference so obscure and trivial even Ace was stumped.  
Thats as good as it gets!
Jack

Is Scuzzy a gifted musician or ...?
I thought he gave away used stuff like Citations and appliances.

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

No, Scuzzy isn't a gifted musician.  Or magician.  Neither.  

He isn't anything, usually.  Including "here."

He's a constable on patrol and a constant reminder of why I'm not.  Who.  Where.  When.  What.  All of those, not.

He tried a rhyme once, about myself, back in the golden days of the chatroom.  I retorted with an iambic pentameter ode to his cat.  It went downhill from there.  We didn't have smileys back then to convey our true emotions... just hand-drawn ones, as primitive glyphs of our inner beings.

:^{0

He doesn't give away anything...  The yard's full of appliances for that reason.  You'd think he'd try a yard sale.  Of course, if he sells the yard, he wouldn't have any place to put them.

Ace; who's Jack?  I don't know Jack.  

Ring bells for service.

trav

Well, even so...this doesnt relate to Scuz, but I WANT TO BE A JESTER!!!  :P
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

pat

Quote from: trav on September 03, 2004, 14:43 hrs
I WANT TO BE A JESTER!!!  :P

I can only think of one possible response to that.

Why?
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

Well, even so...this doesnt relate to Scuz, but I WANT TO BE A JESTER!!!  :P

You can't. As a rule, jesters don't normally use smilies.  :-X
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Well, as a rule, Jesters don't follow rules, either.

But Scuzzy's right about the smiley thing.  We abhore smileys.  Abhorr? Abwhore?  (ABwhoreAaware, by Lavvahot, makers of AdAwarn; it will remove those pesky tramps from the sidewalk outside your XP Home...)Mostly because it took me I mean us about a year and a half here to even figure out how to work them.  Plus, being as wordy as we tend, we're not about to use some dang simplistic yellow grinning bulb emoticon thingy when perfectly good words would do.  Or even not so perfectly words.

And to reinforce Pat's sentiments; really.  Whattya, nuts?

And criminy, Trav, you had your chance.  I gave you the keys to the dang jingling cap when I took off back around Easter.  I said, here you go, go be the stinking jester.  And you balked.  And then, you said you would.  That would be the mistake.  It was a trick question, see?  If you hadn't agreed to do it, then you could have.  But since you said you would, that proved you weren't yet appropriate for the role.  So you weren't allowed.  Aloud.

It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.  That would not be you.  At least not yet.  Nyet  That would be me.  I know the pitfalls, the stopgaps, the ins and outs, the foibles, the roller coaster ride of emotions being Jester entails.  

I also know there isn't a stupid key to the cap.  Geez Louise, pay attention.   You gotta start learning this stuff if you're ever going to step in as the Resident Fool.

And, less anyone forget, people here may act foolishly at times, or daily, but there's only one Full Fool on the premises.  

Ace; the fool who's full of it.  Foolery.  Fooly full.

Ring bells for service.

Bill

Well, let's get one thing perfectly clear: I don't want to be the Jester, or the janitor.  Much too much work, the pay stinks and I hate hats with bells.

Not fond of over zealous admins. either.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Well, now, hold on just a minute there.

(I said that with a Jimmy Stewart accent).

I'M a dang administrator... it says so on my badge, right by my twitching freaking stars.  I am a Full Fool Administrator.  And I approach my job with GREAT ZEAL.

I am as zealous as anyone.  People get jealous because I'm so zealous.  I am a zealot from the word "go."

Go on.. someone say "go."  I'll show ya.

I bolt from my desk and hurl from my chair and leap from my feet just to proclaim the Good News Of Jesterdom.  And, yes, that's how you spell "dom".  Dangit.

I go whole hog and full force and full speed and low bandwidth (I'm on  dial up, you know) and no holds are barred and all systems are go.  I can jest till the cows come home.  

Plus, if we'd just add an administrator whose sole function is to keep kids out we could get away with a lot more stuff.  Just card them, check ID's, send the little ones outside to play.

I know we might lose Trav in the process, but that's the price you pay for adults-only pay for poast.  You win some, you lose some.

Personally, I'll miss Travis... I missed ThatFridayGuy for awhile, too, until he came back.  But now that he's left again I miss him, again.

Ok; then.  Zeal is Good.  Heck, it rhymes with "veal" and that's good.  

Ace; Zeal; it's the Real Deal
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Not going to say"g-", I'm afraid what  your reaction might be.  Certainly would want you to "g-"as in out the door, or as in "leave".  Then you'd have to come back.

Some zealots make the world go around.

Ace

Well, no.  I wouldn't expect you to say "g".  

As far back as I can remember, I don't recall any poaster ever saying "g."  If I drink a corona fast, I sorta go "g g g g g g."  But not just one "g."  Maybe if I slice a golf ball and see if heading for the railroad tracks, I'd go "g."  Usually, then, I'd follow with (##)(!!%&@.  

Shoot, I shoulda asked Buffalo to step in and say "!(@Y@^^$$" for me.  Dangit.

I think maybe one time Trav had a poast that went
g :-* ;D :D
but it might have been k  :o ;) :) instead.

"K" is more used, as by teenagers expressing acceptance. "g" is just more of a guttaral hitch.  I pronounce it "guh" with the tongue doing the pop on the soft palate.  I like pop on my soft palate, but corona more.

Ace; I haven't studied linguistics for years.   :-\ I still don't care for smileys, much.
Ring bells for service.

iansl

I'm finally back from gallavanting around the wilderness for five or so days, and I came back with a FranklinCovey planner. Wish it was computerized, as I now am renting a Palm Zire 72. Ah well. I guess I'll just have to take the planner to class every Thursday until the next break (this is a break day). Unfortunately, the computerized version I think costs a bunch, probably even with the school discount that I'd get. It also doesn't work except with Outlook, and I consider Outlook malicious bloatware (I use Palm Desktop), so I wouldn't be able to use it anyway the way I'd want.

As to Trav being a jester, let him for a few days. Give him the title "Jester's apprentice", show him the caveats of being a jester, give him a carbon copy of your life. Except maybe not for the shoes and the cap. That'd hurt.

Well, gotta go. It's luch. I record-broke on typing this one (upwords, er, upwards, of 80 wpm, maybe even 110). But it still wasn't enough to cram everything I wanted to say into the small period of time I had to say it...so so long, and Custard-style Yoplait yogurt is the best...
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz 20" w\4GB RAM, LP1965 LCD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro
Macbook Air 1.6GHz 80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro, SuperDrive addon

The man, the mac user, the cell phone

Ace

Well, yes, if you're going to leave out letters of course you can type fast.  Maybe after luch you can have dinr.  Criminy.

I agree on the custard Yoplait.  It is.

Look; nobody is gonna carbon date my life.  Criminy, we don't have the time.  The shoes don't hurt that much; as long as you get them so the curve is past your toes, and not "on" them.

Now, Scuzzy's shoes would hurt.

If Trav wants the key to the cap, it's his.  I wonder if Stephen Covey uses a FranklinCovey planner.  I guess.

Ace; I'm gonna go galavanting in the wilderness too, first drive off the fairway.
Ring bells for service.

iansl

He probably has all four types of planners, from the huge bumbly Monarch (come on now, Monarch Computer, sue them ;)) to the teeny pocket version. I have the compact version. Of course, It'd be nice to have a computerized version, but outlook has too mny bugs to use instead of even a monarch ;). As you can see, I use Palm Desktop for my palm, not Outlook. Gotta go now.
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz 20" w\4GB RAM, LP1965 LCD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro
Macbook Air 1.6GHz 80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro, SuperDrive addon

The man, the mac user, the cell phone

Bill

'K, ian said "go". Be zealous or a zealot or a Yopliat, just don't be custer, he was shot by Indians.  Was that in Indiana?

What have you against emoticons ???
Some folks use them all the time ;D
And some folks use a lot of them-

I  think we don't need any more monkey jokes or monkeys right now.
geez, Crikey

Ace

Monkey jokes are dead, in a dead poast.

Hey; dead monkey jokes!  Those are the best.  I wish we had monkey emoticons; see no/hear no/say no/spell no... the whole group.  Even smell no and get your dang hands I mean paws off no.

I don't actually eat Yoplait.  Just, if I did, I'd choose the custard kind.  And, no, Custer didn't go down in Indiana.  First thing is, it's hard to find a hill to hide behind.  Secondly, we marched all the original Hoosiers I mean Indians outta here.  One of those death march things, that the welcoming committee threw together when they moved in.  That's why we have a Pottawattami Park but no Pottawattamis in great numbers.  Although they did a pow wow this weekend.  I'm against death marches, at least in principle, unless it's used for pandas.  For them, run'em right off a mountain side.  Just warn the people below first.

I don't use the Monarch for planning.  At work, I usually use the agenda from the meeting for making notes.  Then I lose it.  Or Post-It notes; I'll plan on those, and slap them around.  The rest I just keep in my head, instead of an electronic device.  You can imagine how slow downloads are, for me.

Ace; I know, I don't use technology often or well.  And, no, I'm not going to call myself a "l....."   Not when somebody else already took the name.  I call myself a bunch of things, but that one's reserved.
Ring bells for service.

Nestor

Kill this thing dead. NOW.

Hi! I'm back but gone again, until friday. Wute! as we say in the biz, because it's not n00bish or 1337 like w00t or woot.

ThatGuy; wute, don't pollute.
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM

Ace

Well, I personally like Woot.  I mean, Teen Girl Squad says "Woot" and Wade said "Woot" and that's goot enough for me.

Sehr Gut means "my gut" I think.

You know, I've heard of 6 pack abs, but my brother in law must be going for a pony keg.

Ace; this poast can't die, because we won't let it.  We're like the mortician that keeps going "HEY!  WAKE UP!  HEY!!"
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Woot is good.  Its almost a top line word, but it isn't.  If it were, it would be "2995".  Now if those were letters it'd be a top line word.  
Crikey.

There is nothing wrong with calling yourself "l.....", or "el" or "ell" for that matter.  'Course what the connection is between not using technology and calling yourself "el" is beyond me. But then, a lot is.

Some technology just doesn't work for some people, or vice versa.  Kinda like the "Peter principle".  Hey if Post-It Notes suffice why use a mainframe?

Ever wonder what will happen to all the paper clips in the world when everything is really paper-less?  Same thing happened to banking pins?

Ace

Microsoft tried to introduce an electronic paperclip into the paperless computer environment...  a sorta cartoon-talking-helpful little paperclip.

I slammed the cloying helpful little jerk with my fist.

Then I got the new monitor, and learned to right-click and hide him.  I hope he's hiding where pandas hide, as they await death.

As far as Peter, I'm pretty sure I've reached my level of incompetence in all manner of things.  I think being called El is kinda cool, though.  Especially if the El is followed by Conquistador.  I could go for that.

You'd think people would try to stick up banks with bank pins, so maybe that's why there aren't any around.

Ace; I gotta remember that when 2995 comes around.  It's gonna be a big year, apparently.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

"El  Conquistador", as in conqueror, master, victor, winner?  
More likely "El Farceur" !

Or "El Jester" def2.:One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity.... who typically demonstrates an outspoken passion against the continuing existence of pandas or other stinky creatures.

Ace

Or Le Jester.  I took French, so that's ok too.  I gotta look up "farceur".  I hope that isn't some gastronimical distress reference...  I don't think I'd care to be referred to, as that, then.

I like being Unorthodox.  If it was still the Olympics, I'd try for Greek Unorthodox.

Ace; or geek unorthodox, here.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Given your mastery of BIOS  and other assorted high tech planning technology, I think "geek", in this context, doesn't apply very well.

"gastronimical" ???  Sounds like something that should be referred to Buffalo in his new role as avante garde poaster of risky stuff.

Le Farceur sounds perfect.
Even that looks like a keyboardo- borrowing a Jesterism!

Ace

That's what makes me an Unorthodox Geek.  I am the anti-geek.  I am so far from a geek, I'm a ... a keeg.  As Trav would spell, staring into his mirror.

And look, dangit, the dang Bios mishap only happened that one time.  It was a long time, as it turned out.  I mean, if they don't want you to play around in there, they oughta lock the dang keyboard when it boots, you know?  I tried to flash it, even, but then figured I oughta quit because I had the shutters open on the window over my computer desk.  It's a sorta faux Scandinavian computer desk, if I hadn't mentioned previously.  But it was nice of you to say I've mastered that thing I do with the BIOS when things are working pretty well and I decide to change them.   This week, I spent an hour downloading the latest nVidia drivers from their site.  And then found my Links 2003 game wouldn't play at all, as the monitor stuck on some bizarre resolution it couldn't, and I couldn't get INTO the game to change its video setup... And Madden 2003 looked worse.  So I rolled back to the previous ones, and it's ok.  

The used to make Avantis in South Bend.  And they had guards at the Studebaker plant.

Maybe Buffalo could poast something really risque, or risky, here, and kill this poast.  That'd be a two-fold accomplishment.  Probably his poasting future, too, but somebody's gotta step up and take one for the home team on occasion.  If he gets banned for it, we can do a commemorative series of poasts like "Where'd Buffalo go? Huh." or "Was Buffalo the same as Bubba?" or "Are Igloo and Iansl the same person(s)?" or "How many dang JIms are there, anyway?" or "Why would someone name their cat 'Buffalo'...?" and wish him well.

Well.

I like coming here, because you never know what's next.  It's like a Restaurant (French) where you might get soup for breakfast, or ham and macarroni on your grilled cheese, or the french fries (not French) dumped in your lap.  Who can say?

Ace; I think gastronomical is a combination of gas, and astronomical.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Well they needed guards to protect the award winning style-certainly borrowed from plans from  a WWI torpedo.  Avantis, P1800s, gull-wing Delorens. ah, those were the days, to quote Mr. Bunker.  Speaking of gas-

I am glad to hear you were able to get the drivers resolved.  Otherwise we'd be going through another series of "Where's ACE?" - enough already.
American fries, or deep fried fries or "chips" if you will, if you please but not in my lap, thankyou.

trav

Quote from: pat on September 03, 2004, 14:53 hrs
I WANT TO BE A JESTER!!!  :P

I can only think of one possible response to that.

Why?

Because...uhhh.....you know? I dont know...heh heh heh......Crimminy..... Im trying to lay off of the smilies as well, so thats good!
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

trav

trav

Quote from: Ace on September 05, 2004, 09:52 hrs

Personally, I'll miss Travis... I missed ThatFridayGuy for awhile, too, until he came back.  But now that he's left again I miss him, again.

"I'll"? Does that mean its happening??

Nooo! :o! If i left, or had to leave, id be soo sad! I'd miss all of you! :(

Ace

Oh, and we would miss your smiling face.

Faces.

too.

Ace; we would.  ;D
Ring bells for service.

Nestor

Dangit, shoot, criminy, and gorsh! Can't you let this thing die?

ThatGuy1079; I'm sounding like Ace, now.
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM