• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Panasonic Toughbooks

Started by sparkwrite, April 23, 2005, 21:26 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkwrite

Hello:  I would like to get opinions on Toughbooks in general.

Also does anyone know if they have been used for video editing with Adobe Premiere?  I'm kind of looking at a CF-51, new with all the bells and whistles.

A pre-thank you all round. Spark

query

They are very sturdy machines, and are used extensively for field work by police departments, etc.  They're also expensive systems, but worth it if you need a rugged notebook.

For video work, if you don't need the rugged case, I'd go with an Apple PowerBook, not a Windows-based system.

sparkwrite

Thanks for the input.  Spark

JimS

I've had an IBM T40 for almost two years, and it goes with me EVERYWHERE I go.  It's built like a brick, but less than 5 lbs.  I haven't had a bit of trouble with it.  By far the best computer I've ever used.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

query

Most of the IBM ThinkPads are built very solidly - I set one up for a colleague recently (he wanted a notebook, so I recommended IBM).

Hopefully Lenovo knows what it's doing with the ThinkPad series, because outside of the Panasonic Toughbooks, no one builds them more ruggedly.  

The solid metal hinges on most of the ThinkPad screens put the junk plastic covered ones on the competition (Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, Sony, etc.) to shame.

sparkwrite

Thank you for your input.  Spark

JimS

I'm not familiar with the Panasonics, Query, but concerning the IBM's and their competition, I couldn't agree with you more.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

query

If you look at the design of the new tablet Lenovo/IBM released yesterday, which is their first, it would appear Lenovo knows EXACTLY what it's doing.