• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

COKE VS. PEPSI

Started by Ace, July 06, 2006, 11:15 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Ok; just saw that 3 guys were caught trying to pass the secret Coca Cola recipe on to Pepsi.  Or Vice Versa.

Or Visa Versa.  Whatever.

Here's the thing; I think I know the difference.  I mean, it's obvious to me there IS a difference.  I can't figure people who can't tell by taste test...  It's like people who will drink any beer because "they all taste the same"....  Not bloody likely!

One of the theories is the sugar content... and that a person will gravitate to the sweeter of two like beverages.  Well, yeah, I think Pepsi is a bit sweeter, but that's not the key thing.

Here's what I figure, on it.  The ingredient that gives Coke it's "thicker perfumy" (my wording) contrast to Pepsi, is:

drumroll.

Vanilla.  

I believe Coke has a touch of vanilla.  Like a cream soda.  And that's what makes it more "aromatic", much like a spiced rum compared to regular (real) rum.  Maybe they both have some vanilla, but in any case Coke has more.  And that's my theory on the key taste difference.

Just my opinion, naturally.  I'm a Pepsi drinker, by nature.  Although I like Coke if it's mixed with something more substantial (usually Canadian).  

Ace; makes a "vanilla Coke" seem redundant, to me.
Ring bells for service.

Neon

Coke and Pepsi taste the same, so who cares? Anyway, the pizza usually drowns out their tastes.

Thus, I usually buy Kroger cola. It tastes the same, and only costs $0.50 for a 2 L bottle.

Vanilla coke is gross. Of course, I don't like cream soda - it's waaay too sweet. Lime coke is pretty good, though. I'm a sour kind of guy.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Ace

Well, yeah, they pretty much taste the same.  Like a cola, basically.  Everybody knows that... that's like saying "There's a 4th of July in England, you know."  I mean, ya think?!  

You know, in other news, I can't figure why the Japan prime minister wanted to visit Graceland.  Shoot, Elvis is the head of North Korea.

It is comforting to know that North Korea is capable of launching a missile to attack themselves, though.

This guy on the NY subway attacked people with 2 chainsaws.  Oh, and they were cordless.  The guy he cut said "it was like he was trying to cut through me."

Geez.  Ya think?!

I'm glad NJ is back in business.  I thought they were going to have to shut down permanently after Bill moved.

Anyway, as far as Pepsi and Coke, it could be the ice too.  My father in law's ice tastes funky.  I guess it's the water, if not the freezer.  And they keep the pop warm, which I don't favor.  I like a cold soft drink, even before the ice.  Or, that way you can drink it straight like Cowboys do in Texas and still tolerate it.

Ace; my wife's Pop is usually cold, though.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

There is enough 'Sopranos' commerce in NJ to keep it going and prosperous forever.  Closing the State's activities is like shooing a fly off a cow chip.

Speaking of cow chips and other similar stuff, I tend to favor the un-colas.  Drinking brown liquid seems a bit distasteful.

And talking about distasteful, I think visiting dignitaries should be prohibited from singing on national TV, its just embarrassing.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Neon

You know that many of these international corporations such as Coca-Cola and Pepsico vary their product lineups to suit local tastes. For example, westeners might prefer sweet tasting drinks, while asians might prefer salty drinks. Perhaps PM Koizumi was here to trial some new sodas intended for the Japanese market. Sweet and sour Coke? Soy ginger ale? Mello Maitake Mash?

The coke machine at work now has "Coke One" in addition to "Diet Coke". I have tried it, and like it. It's perhaps a little spicier than DC.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Whizbang

Sam's cola and Kmart's Shasta are also good.  The CEO of Royal Crown says that he loves it when the big guys over-charge because it helps his company to get an even better profit.  I read in "horror" several years ago that the international CEO of Coca Cola was making over $10.000,000 per year.  For what?  What is so technologically demanding in mixing sugar water with CO2, flavoring, and food color?  I suppose the guy must have demanded that he get that much or quit.  Coke, no doubt, was terrified that they would need to find another with his expertise to keep the company afloat (bad term) in the sea of overwhelming product innovation and technological advance.  Am I missing something here?  

Actually, the reason is the bottom line.  He created more profit for the company than any other CEO in history in the same amount of time, turning $1000 investments into $71,000 stock gains.  Money always talks.  A Cuban immigrant, he died in 1997 a multi-billionaire.

Ace

Oh no it isn't.  They all taste the same, you said.  Well, you said Coke and Pepsi did.  Do.  So it's implied all variations within a subculture do, too.

Sorta.  Subliminally.  Presumably.

I'd say Coke One tastes less than the others.  I have been to DC, and I guess "spicy" would be an apt description.  Of course, I was last there when the snipers were sniping, so that was dicey.  And spicy.  

I wonder if Pepsi and Coke taste the same, in Britain.  Or Ireland even.  What do you guys over there think?  Do they all taste the same, or just some of them?

Ace; I know for brown beverages Black is better than Red.  If I ever get rich, I might buy a bottle of Blue.
Ring bells for service.

saoirse

Pepsi is manufactured just around the corner from me actually.  Quite a few manufacturers have taken to Ireland over the last 10 years or so - due to incentives and a disproportionately low corporation tax.  Microsoft and Oracle are based here and release around three-quarters of their output from this country.

Anyway, back on topic.  I cannot stand either.  If i had to pick from the two - I'd take the Diet Coke.  There's soo much sugar in the both I have to resort to the diet.

saoirse; we prefer a cool Guinness with our pizza

Buffalo2102

Everything tastes the same over here.  The same as over there that is.

Except tofu which doesn't taste at all.  What's the point of that?

Buff; tasteless.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

scuzzy

I have to agree with Buffalo. Several years ago I brought a Coke into the USA that I bought in Germany. Although I drank it in New Jersey, it tasted the same as the ones I had in Germany.

Scuzzy; Bubble Up
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

My sister in law ordered a "Dr. Pepsi" at a restaurant Saturday.  I can't figure that one out at all.

I agree with a cool Guiness.  You don't want them warm, but you'll lose flavour if they're really cold.  And I really don't care for the draught Guiness; I like the regular old stout.  That other stuff is so smooth it has no personality.  I like stouts, in general.

Ace; you are what you drink.
Ring bells for service.

Pete

Me and my 100 monkeys pefer Sams Choice,diet, no nothing Cola,'course I must beat the monkeys off the can  first before adding it to the Rum  for that drink famous way way down
South in a little place called Trinidad and Tobago
Pete

Ace

Isn't that just like a little place, to have a big pretentious name like Trinidad and Tobago.  Or Toboggan.  Whatever it is they ride down the hills on.

Maybe it's a Winnebago.  Man, I would hate to be stuck in one of those on a hot day full of monkeys.

I've switched to Mount Gay rum.  As the chatroom already has references to monkeys, and me as fruit, I'm not going to say more on that.

Ace; that's it
Ring bells for service.

Huntress

i really feel the difference between them! and prefer coca-cola indeed.