• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

nVidia

Started by drumsnbass, March 27, 2003, 14:32 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

drumsnbass

OK,,, i know this is a stupid question but i am not all that knowledgable with hardware and such.... ok  when i look at the info for my video card on my computer it says Vanta/Vanta LT  ..
i also saw that it says it is integrated ramdac?  what is the integrated ramdac?  and i cant find out if the card is integrated with the motherboard or not.... and if it is.. is there any way i can upgrade it because it is only a 16MB card and i want to run games that need at least a 32MB...
thanx

Neon

Welcome to Poasters!

RAMDAC = Random Access Memory Digital-to-Analog Converter. It is a chip on the video card. The RAMDAC's function is to convert digitally encoded images into analog signals that can be displayed by a monitor. Some cards have 2 RAMDACs so that dual monitors are supported.

There is a good chance that you Vanta video chip is integrated into the motherboard, but to find out you will need to look at the hardware. If the connector where you plug in the monitor is in a grouping with the printer and serial ports, then it is integrated. If it is located in one of the slots, then it is a discrete card.

As for upgrade, some (most) motherboards support upgrades, although there may be limits. It really depends on the specific motherboard. If you know which board you have, we can help you select an appropriate video card.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition