• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

help me to pick between these 2 laptops

Started by davidng500, January 06, 2004, 17:50 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

davidng500

Hi everybody,

I am new here and i need  you folks to help me to choose between these two laptops...
which one is the better deal and why?? and I would appreciate very much if you could also do researches on these two systems prior expressing your opinions... :) Thank you!!!!
oh, fyi, My computing needs are pretty much for home usages!
==================================================================

Brand New ECS G733 Notebook. Retail Box. Price won at $620.00 plus 33.00 for S/H.
Package includes Microsoft? Windows? XP Home Edition with Service Pack 1.
Genuine Microsoft OEM Product. Brand New - Sealed. Never been installed or activated.
Comes with:
Microsoft Windows XP Home CD
Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity Label
Microsoft Owners Manual
Microsoft EULA (End-User License Agreement)

Notebook comes in the original box with manuals, drivers, cables, battery, charger.

Details:

CPU Intel? Celeron 2.0Ghz CPU, 128mb L2 cache on die, FSB=400MHz (upgrade available)

Core Logic SiS? 651 + SiS962

Memory 256Mb DDR SODIMM slot , expandable up to 1GB (upgrade available)

LCD 15.0" XGA TFT

Video & Graphic SiS? 651 with embedded 3D engine SMA (Sharing Memory Architecture), 64MB Max.

HDD 40Gb 2.5" 9.5mm in height, 5400rpm, ATA 100

Optical Drive 5.25"/12.7mm CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/Combo Drive (DVD-ROM+CD-RW), DVD-RW (Multi)

Touch Pad Synaptics w/ scrolling button

Application Launch Key Hot keys: E-mail, internet hot key

Keyboard 88 keys with 12 function keys and 3 Windows keys

I/O Port 2 x USB2.0 ports, parallel port, VGA port, RJ-11, RJ-45, FIR, 1394a, TV-Out , head phone(SPDIF), Mic_in

PCMCIA Type II PCMCIA slot, support CardBus

Audio AC97 2.1compliant, , 5.1 channel support, built-in two stereo speakers

AC Adapter 90 watts, Universal

Battery 8 cell 2000mAh Li-Ion battery pack, 59.2Whr or 12 cell 2150mAh Li-Ion battery pack, 95Whr

Battery Charge 4 hrs fast charge when system off

Battery Life About 2 hrs (8 cell test with BatteryMark 4.0.1 and CPU is 2.4GHz at 25?XC)

BIOS AMI

Support PnP, password

Communication 10/100 Base-T LAN on board

Fax/Moedm V.90 miniPCI card

Power Management ACPI 2.0 supported

Security Kensington lock, BIOS password protection

Size 332.0(W) x 281.0(D) x 39.7/48.0(H) mm

Price being offered: $620.00
USPS Mail (5-7days) $32.90
Final price =653.00

-------------------------------------------------
Or this laptop from Dell.com

Inspiron 1100
FREE 15.0 XGA Display Upgrade! Intel? Celeron? Processor 2.4GHz,

Microsoft? Windows? XP Home Edition

256MB Shared DDR,266Mhz,2 Dimms,PC2100 SDRAM

FREE Combo Drive Upgrade!

FREE 15" XGA Display Upgrade - Online Only!

Price: 8490.00  + 49.00 S/H + tax= 938.00 -100.00 mail in rebate = 838.00 Final price

====================================================
so my big question is which system is a better buy? and why????

Thank you for your help and inputs.........

Chandler

The new Celeron's aren't regarded to be good performers.  Personally, I'd go for the cheaper ECS option and have the CPU upgraded to a P4.

The ECS also seems better specified overall, it already has the 15" LCD, and also a DVD writer, I suspect that the "combo" drive in the Dell is a DVD-ROM reader/CD writer.

query

Take a look at xpbargains.com for other Dell deals.  The Dell is a better deal from a support standpoint, unless you're sure the other company is sound enough to survive to support it with parts and service.

The SiS chipset is a deficit for the first system;  the Dell uses a desktop processor but  an Intel chipset.

In either case, get a 3-year warranty unless you're a gambler - notebook repairs are expensive, and notebooks need repair far more often than desktops do.

davidng500

hi,
i just won this auction from ebay last night and here is the details of the auction(link)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3450168380&category=177&rd=1#ShippingPayment

i am very much leaning toward this system 'cuz it is much cheaper plus it has a DVD burner and i am about to make payment via paypal using credit card (i have 10 days to do so) but the only thing kinda worry me is potenial fraud purchasing from ebay ..... hmmm, i gonna try to buy buyer's protection from PayPal (maybe another 30bucks?) ...hmmm, this seller has a 98.5% good rating with over 1000 sale transactions but not with many laptops...hmmm, so should i go for it???
is it worth all the savings with this system?..... i checked the company ECS website and i felt that i saved lots of money....
but this deal is from Ebay....
oh, by the way, my other thought is that i could resell that brand new Wins XP CD for 50-100 dollars on EBay and install Wins XP PRO which I have it.

anyway, i don't know too much about laptops and i also worry about fraudulent purchases via ebay...

any comments are welcomed and appreciated~~~

Mark H

What about warranties? If it has no warranty, I would go with the Dell. As Query stated, laptops are expensive to repair and need repaired more than desktops.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

query

Unless you know the vendor is solid and will honor the warranty on a system sold on EBay, I'd pass on that - you're just asking for trouble buying a no-name notebook computer from an auction site.  Even if it works, what happens when you need a battery in a year or two?  Or if it doesn't work, where's your recourse.

The old adage rings true - you get what you pay for.  You can likely find a year-old Dell Inspiron 8200 system that will give you more for your money used than either of these- for about the same price.

Low-end laptops usually cut corners - just as with a year-old quality used car being a better buy than a "disposable" new one, the same holds for laptops.

If you're going new, go with Dell (or IBM, Toshiba, HPaq, etc.).  The lower-tier brands involve a lot more compromises.

davidng500

hi query,
this ECS stand for Elitegroup Computer System... this link to this company
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gooddealpc-store/ecsg7senoinp.html

i checked their websites and their systems ounce for ounces, they are much more expensive than Dell or IBM or many other names...

i was gona bid an IBM ThinkPad 600E 366mmx, 128RAM, 56K modem, 6 or 10 gig HD for about 188-250 bucks....plus another 25.00 S/H...but afraid this system soon be obsolete even most of my computing needs are basic (internet, and some basic-intermediate programs)....... i could had almost won this similar IBM thinkpad for 75bucks but an error code 00174 (which I think the Hard drive is defective..) and i could try to replace it or get an external HD :))  btw, i am student and working pt, so i gotta to learn to save some bucks (" cut corner")  
oh, do you know what would be the actual clock speed for a system with Intel Celeron 2.0? I know it is slower than Pentium.

i am gonna contact the ebay seller about warranty on this system? from the company???

query

Yes, ECS is a large manufacturer in China.  Whether they support end users is an interesting question - they do not have a particularly good reputation when it comes to mainboards (ECS is PCChips, which has a pretty bad overall reputation for quality and engineeing).

Mark H

Quote from: davidng500 on January 06, 2004, 19:21 hrs

oh, do you know what would be the actual clock speed for a system with Intel Celeron 2.0? I know it is slower than Pentium.

Intel rates their chips by the actual clock speed, so a Celeron 2.0 runs at 2 gHz.

Mark H

davidng500

the ecs g733 based on the seller's description, it has a DVD burner plus a 40 gig Hard Drive whereas with Dell system has no DVD burner and only a 20 gig HDrive....
if i was going to get a Dell with these upgrades, i would have to pay another 150.00  bucks...

from direct PC build your own notebook, a system with same configuration as from Ebay would cost me at least 1200.00 and not including the Windows XP CD...
http://www.directpc.ca/portable-value-pc.ref;jsessionid=CA1CA90FE3B8BCB143DEE9F234CE3AE9

so i think gonna pay this system tomorrow nite or by this wkend unless i found out something different from the seller or the manufacturer regarding the this product or its warrantty...or unless someone pursuades me not to :))
thanks for your help, guys
----------------------------------------------------------------

newly-released ECS G733 series notebook equipped with the latest SiS651/962 Socket 478 motherboard, each of which is compatible with an Intel Pentium 4 or an Intel Celeron CPU usually found in a desktop PC. As for the hard disk, an user upgradeable ability 2.5" 9.5mm notebook hard drive is used. As for the memory, this G733 series notebook is equipped with one SO-DIMM DDR memory slot supports PC2100 DDR266MHz & PC2700 DDR333MHz specification, and it has the user upgradeable ability. Also the G733 series notebook comes with a slim DVD/CD-RW combo drive and a built-in removable and rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery pack. Moreover, the G733 series notebook is equipped with a huge 15" XGA TFT LCD display, and with the SiS? 651 embedded 3D engine high-performance graphics chipset with max. 64MB graphic memory by using SMA (Sharing Memory Architecture), making it possible to produce the best multimedia effects. This unrestrained combination brings into full play the originally unique performance-upgrading superiority possessed by a desktop computer - but G733 has mobility.

All models of the ECS G733 series notebook equipped with 15" XGA TFT-LCD, slim DVD/CD-RW combo drive, built-in rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery pack, 56K Data/Fax modem, 10/100Mbps LAN, 3D surround sound with stereo speakers & microphone, 1 x 32-bits PCMCIA CardBus PC Card slot, 2 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x 1394 FireWire port, and much much more ...... please click here to see the G733 detail specifications.

User upgradeable ability
Socket 478 for FC-PGA2 package
Supports Intel Desktop Pentium 4 CPU 1.4 to 3.06GHz
Supports Intel Desktop Celeron CPU 1.7 to 2.0GHz
Supports 128/256/512KB on die L2 cache
Supports 400/533MHz FSB (Front Side Bus)

Core Logic
 SiS651 + SiS962
SiS651 with embedded 3D engine
Supports host bus up to 533MHz
3.3V PCI version 2.2 compliance
ACPI v2.0

etc.....

davidng500

Hi guys,

Even though this is the first time I hear about ECS G733. I researched and found out that ECS is a Chinese Computer company and it does make decent computer systems, ( I think.....)

this G733's processor/CPU is compatible with a the desktop and it has a DVD burner plus a 40gig Hard Drive and plus a brand new Windows XP CD and the ebay seller said that there is a 6 months warranty (I hope he ain't lie about these)...

so i think it is a pretty good deal...
if i were to get a similar/exact system from Dell or IBM or even from ECS, I probably have to pay at least 1100.00!

i was thinking of upgrading the CPU...and he just emailed and said upgrading to Pentium 4 (2.4) is another 120 bucks...

I wonder if it is worth the upgrade from Intel Celeron 2.0 to Pentium 4 2.4?????????? anyone care to comment on that????? thanks

Mark H

If it is the P4 with the 800 Mhz front bus, then it is worth the upgrade.

Mark H

davidng500

http://www.ecsusa.com/products/searchResults.cfm
http://www.ecsusa.com/

Hi Mark H,
i believe the upgrade from Intel Celeron 2.0 to Pent 4  2.4 533Mhz FSB .....but i have to double check that with him.....(he said he doesn't have the Intel celeron 2.4)...
btw, what is the difference between 533 and 800 FSB??? what is it anyway? :)

thanks

lil correction: ECS is from Taiwan not China :)

query

The frontside bus is the one that drives the CPU - the faster it is, at least on paper, the faster the chip will run.

The 800 MHz chips will not run with this system - the SiS 651 is a 400/533 chipset.  

The original P4 used a 400 MHz fsb, then 533 and now 800 - 400 is the current province of the Celeron, and 533 soon will be (once the Prescott chips start arriving with their larger caches, expect Intel to consign the ones that come off the line with defective L2 cache blocks to being Celerons, which have a smaller L2 cache).

davidng500

HI everyone and the folks who helped me out....

i want to let you know i just made a payment 652.90 by credit card via PayPal for the notebook (after I got off the phone with the seller)...... I think this seller has a 500 dollars paypal protection for buyers...

I will let you know how it turns out..... :)

Thanks for your help.

Oh, should i upgrade the memory from 256 to 512 for an additional 54dollars???
Is it easier (and cheaper) to do it myself????
I have upgrade memory on my desktops but never had done with notebooks...

query

If it's running XP, 512 MBytes is a good idea- and that's not a bad price.

Upgrading notebook memory ranges from trivially easy (memory under single-screw door at the bottom) to a pain in the neck (disassembling the top of the machine to get to the mainboard).  Check with the vendor to see how easy it is.

davidng500

Mark H

Quote from: davidng500 on January 09, 2004, 12:57 hrs
http://www.ltcom.com/page/FAQ/ECS-G733_MemoryInstallationGuide.htm

it seems easy....but i gonna let him do it...to save time and headache :)  

That is what I would do. $54 for 256 extra megs is too good of a price to not let him do it for you. Your time is worth money to, even if you don't realize it. :)

Mark H

davidng500

i agreed :)

he even asked me if i wanted him to install Windows into the notebook...... I almost let him do it (to install Windows XP PRO or 2000 PRO with my serials/codes but using his softwares CD)  but afraid he probably ask a fee for that...... heheheheehe

here is another ebay auction link  for this similar ECS G733 system but less w/ less options (no dvd burner, less HDD, no Windows XP CD, etc....) for $$$$
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3451573317

PS. I have installed and upgraded Windows OS on my desktops...
but I never installed on any brand new systems that are w/out any pre-existing Windows OS.
So is this notebook supposed to be formated and ready to accept any Windows OS such as Windows XP???? Please let me know!!!

alrite, gotta run to work now!!! see you all later!!

can't wait to receive the notebook!

davidng500

Hi~
i am about to log off and  ready go to work, then i just got an email from the seller:
"Hi! To install Windows2000 Pro, I need your software with original Microsoft product key. If you want it, you have to send CD and key to me and I will install software for you. Insurance is optional and this is up to you. Thanks."

any comments are welcomed~~~~ thanks

bye

Mark H

I would install it myself. It isn't hard.

Mark H

davidng500

Mark H,
OK, i will just do that...install windows myself...
i believe nowsday  computer systems are ready to accept Windows OS, right?
i just asked him to ship out the notebook ASAP!!!

Mark H

You can usually boot up the Windows CD with your CD ROM. At that point, Windows will take you through setup, including formatting your drive if needed.

Check your BIOS to enable boot from CD.

Mark H

davidng500

Just got back from work --- an all night shift :)  and gonna do it again tonight :)  

yeah, i thought same that nowsday computer systems boot up the Windows CD and i just follow instruction setup on the screen  ...

the seller just sent me an email.."Hi! I sent you notebook by USPS mail, conformation 0303xxxxxxxxxxx. Also, I left positive feedback on Ebay. Thanks."

hmmm, i guess the item must  be just dropped off and has not been in the computer system yet hence i can't track it yet.......

thanks for reading & replies! and  have a good w/k~~~~~

query

If it was sent by USPS, you'll get it before it appears for tracking.  It's been my experience that the USPS tracking will show the item about three days after you have it in your hands.

davidng500

i asked him to send via UPS 'cuz it's cheaper, more effiecient/faster and gives free tracking (not with USPS) and also up to FREE 100 dollars for loss, damage or whatever~~
but the seller sent via USPS...oh well...I guess I just gotta wait! I so far  don't have good experiences with USPS in S/H packages!!!
Hope it'll be good this time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark H

I like Fed Ex myself with UPS being second. I don't like the UPSP for shipping.

Mark H

davidng500

HELLO~~~~~Hello!!!

The notebook G733 just came about 1/2 hour ago in the mail today!!!! It was in in its original manufacturer's carton, and it was placed inside another bigger box :) :) It was indeed very well packed upon my request :) so I am glad I didn't buy the 15bucks s/h insurance :)

I think it has everything that  the seller described in the listing, i.e. all the softwares (Windows XP, g733 driver, Power DVD xp,  Easy CD Creator) in sealed bags plus a quick start guide....and a huge long battery in a plastic bag! :)

It powers up fine and I am installing the Windows XP PRO! It is formating the notebook's hard drive (right now as I am typing this message) to prepare for Windows setup...

It shows that it has 512RAM! and 40gig HD, and there is DVD-R combo drive...(I don't know the cpu processor speed yet...but the carton box itself said "Pentium 4 Intel inside")....but the sealed plastic bag said "Celeron Processor 2 ghxz) hmmmmmm....

The keyboard keys are very easy to the touch and I like that! :) and a huge 15in screen!

I let you more about this notebook as soon as I finished installing all the softwares...and play with it~~~~~

Thanks for all your help!!!

Chandler

Good luck!  It sounds like you made a good purchase.

davidng500

Not a very good purchase!!!!
I just found out that this notebook does not have DVD-Write as he advertised in his listing.....!!!!!!!!

I just called him and he said he will check his ebay listing again!!! and call him back tomorrow!

I gonna be very mad if he intentionally lied to me, 'cuz I asked him twice in the email and on the phone about the DVD-Write, and he said it has everything exactly as described in his listing!!!!

Hmmm, how much $$$ should I ask for from him for lack of the DVD-Write?????? 100 dollars??????  
I HATE it so much when someone tries to swindle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!