• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Usb or Mice?

Started by O.o, December 03, 2003, 23:59 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

O.o

Whenever I try to plug my mouse into usb in my Dell Latitude c610 win xp pro, it doesn't work. I have two mice and they both don't work. Sometimes a popup at the system tray has a bubble that says power exceed on hub port, something like that, so i click it and it says i have some power surge on the port and i should reset it. So i try to reset it and it don't work it says if i want to use the driver again i have to reboot, so i reboot and nothing changes. And I compared my USB port to my other laptops and it is very wobbly, meaning i can move it in alot of directions so it is about half a centimeter.

The question is, is it the mice or the original usb port that I have to replace, if i do how?

Thanks for any help.

P.S: tried dell forums and they take years to respond, sometimes i just think they sometimes go "hey we have a forum!"

Chandler

The maximum current draw from a USB port is generally 500mA, although some may be more tolerant than others.  When this is exceeded, the hub turns off (well it should do) and the OS pops up an error message.

I doubt that the mouse is exceeding this, mine only takes 90mA.

1) Do you have any other USB devices plugged in?
2) There is a USB hotfix for Windows XP, available here.  It fixes many problems with USB support in Windows XP SP1
3) If the mouse really is using a lot of power (this can usually be checked for the Root Hub in Device Manager) then a powered external USB hub may help.

O.o

the maximum for me is 500mA, I am now pretty sure that it is my USB hub that is causing the problem because whatever i plug it in it says Usb Device Not Recognized in the system tray. I am only using 1 usb. I have had nothing to do for the last few days please help!

thanks for help chandler i hope you reply soon

Mark H

If you have a bad USB port on your PC,  there is two scenarios:

1. If it is an expansion card, you can replace it.

2. If it is built into the motherboard, you can add a USB expansion card if you have an expansion slot on your laptop.

I would think that you can add expansion cards to one of the open slots on a laptop. At least that is how my network adapter card works with my work laptop. It just slides into a PCMIA slot.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

trav

Quote from: O.o on December 03, 2003, 23:59 hrs

P.S: tried dell forums and they take years to respond, sometimes i just think they sometimes go "hey, we have a forum!"

HEH HEH! ;D ;D
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

O.o

Yeah, I was thinking of something like that Mark H. I usually purchase electronics from Futureshop so I think I will bring my laptop in there and ask for help.

thanks for your guy's help and Travis F for quoting me ;D

O.o

Unfortunately, I called Futureshop and there isn't such thing of the USB that goes into the PC slot. I called Dell and they couldn't help because i have to update some ownership thing so they can help me and I am not in the mood to do that!

Any help pleaseee

Mark H

If you don't use your USB ports for anything other than the mouse, you can buy a PS2 mouse that would work fine.

Mark H

O.o

do you mean the extension plug, the one that goes from the usb into a ps/2

Mark H

A PS2 nouse plugs into a round port on the back of the PC. If you have a USB to PS2 adapter cable, you can use it to connect your USB mouse to the PS2 port.

Mark H

trav

Quote from: O.o on December 05, 2003, 07:06 hrs
thanks for your guy's help and Travis F for quoting me ;D

no problem :) oh! there i go again! i quoted you again ;D
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Chandler

Quote from: O.o on December 05, 2003, 21:44 hrs
Unfortunately, I called Futureshop and there isn't such thing of the USB that goes into the PC slot. I called Dell and they couldn't help because i have to update some ownership thing so they can help me and I am not in the mood to do that!

I'd look elsewhere then because I've got one sat in my laptop right now! ;)  It's a USB 2.0 adapter and cost me ?35, it's backwards compatible with USB 1.1 and uses an NEC chipset.

O.o

Where did you purchase this Chandler?

Chandler

I got mine from eBay.  It's generic unbranded stuff but it works great.