• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Toshiba 460CDT can I fit a DVD

Started by scroteybloke, April 24, 2003, 13:10 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scroteybloke

Hi there,  can anyone tell me if its possible to swap the  CD player in my machine for a DVD player..the one I have been looking at is a Tosh' SD-C2502...
second question.how do you open the box to fit extra memory

FDDIMan

The memory has a panel on the bottom of the laptop that is held in with a screw and it's behind there. I'm not real sure on the DVD working in there but I don't see why not.

query

You should be able to swap a DVD in for a CD-ROM drive - the drives are standard, but often come in proprietary carriers or use proprietary connectors - the mechanisms are very standard and those parts can be interchanged.

You will need to purchase a DVD decoder package (PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc.) to use the drive.

scroteybloke

Quote from: FDDIMan on April 24, 2003, 13:51 hrs
The memory has a panel on the bottom of the laptop that is held in with a screw and it's behind there. I'm not real sure on the DVD working in there but I don't see why not.

thanks for the info, but I cant see a panel on the base held by a screw..only the battery and cd covers

FDDIMan

Check to see if there are any levers around the keyboard. They might be pretty well hidden so look close becuase sometimes the keyboard will pop up to access these type of things. Since I'm not real firmilar with this specific laptop I'm just throwing some ideas out there.
Some good places to look are the sides and by the keys.

query

According to Toshiba, the memory socket is under the palm rest.   You have to remove the battery, expansion bay contents, and undo several screws to remove the palmrest and install memory.

Toshiba has complete documentation on its support website.

scroteybloke

Quote from: query on April 25, 2003, 17:16 hrs
According to Toshiba, the memory socket is under the palm rest.   You have to remove the battery, expansion bay contents, and undo several screws to remove the palmrest and install memory.

Toshiba has complete documentation on its support website.
thanks mate..I have found it now..

Norm

Quote from: scroteybloke on April 24, 2003, 13:10 hrs
Hi there,  can anyone tell me if its possible to swap the  CD player in my machine for a DVD player..the one I have been looking at is a Tosh' SD-C2502...
second question.how do you open the box to fit extra memory

I would not recommend that you do this.  Your system does not have the minimum requirements to support software DVD movie playback.  You would require at least a PII 300 MHz, and a 4 MB video card.  It might be possible if you also purchased a hardware MPEG decoder code, but after all this expenditure you would be better off getting a higher spec system.