• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

operating system question

Started by cyanide, February 06, 2003, 13:53 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

cyanide

Ok, what is considered the best operating system around XP,ME,2000, anything else? I mean ease of use , no system failures, freeze ups, which one is the real deal?

pat

I still think Windows 3.1 was the best darn OS there ever was.  :)

Really it depends on what your doing and what kind of hardware you have.
I would vote for Windows 2000 for a tried and true stable OS. Windows XP is also a good bet with better features for the home user. That?s what I use on my main system.
For older hardware Windows 98se is probably the best bet, however official support will end this summer.
Win ME gets a pretty bad rap most of the time, although I have it installed on my old Quantex and it works just fine.
Then there is the alternative Linux releases by several vendors.
I?m sure others here will have opinions on this too.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

dcsun

I'd say pretty much the same thing, save the Windows 3.1 comment :P.

Your choices are probably Windows 98SE, 2000, and XP.  98SE for older games, hardware, and programs.  2000 for a stable business-use platform.  XP for a home system as long as you're sure the hardware and applications will support it.

Chandler

I totally agree.

Remember that Windows XP support (for hardware and software) is continually improving as is Windows 2000.

You can normally find drivers for devices under Windows 98SE but official support from Microsoft will be discontinued (although I'm sure there will be a lot of websites continuing Microsoft's work).

yokosi

I've had very bad experinces with Windows ME and i'll never chose that operating system again.  Same deal with my g/f's computer.  I have XP on one machine and 2000 PRO on another machine and they both work terrific
Asus A7NX-X motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2800 processor, 1 GB MB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 Vid card and crappy sound card

lemon

The first OS U used is win95, but I've seen 3.1, it looked very classic to me!
But one thing is for sure, WinXP is not good...
This is but a taste of the error that Windows XP will unleash, you must fight!