• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

The Geek Squad - Computer Doctors must be making a killing

Started by Ira Carmichael, March 17, 2007, 21:44 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ira Carmichael

Hi Everyone:

Since the release of Vista and all of the new vulnerabilities that created, I can now add myself to the long list of people who although we are running XP, we upgraded to IE 7 and ended up with a Trojan. I tried to reformat and reinstall and still couldn't get rid of it at least through the reformat utility built into Windows XP repair console. I went and bought a new HD and am fine now. But my question is - can this old harddrive be cleaned so that it can be put back into use. Can I take it to a computer doctor and they can clean it for me or is it more cost effective just to put it in the landfill. Is there something I can do here at home with my computer that will allow me to "sanitize" this harddrive so it can be put back into use?

Any help would be appreciated

Ira

PS: When things like this happen, it makes one wonder if one wouldn't be better in the 5% of computing - in otherwords - a MAC user.
Ira Carmichael

Ghost

It surprises me that after a format you are still unable to use this drive. Do the same symptoms exist after the re-install. I usually format by booting with the xp cd. I'm not sure if doing it through the repair console is any different. I would try and find a utility that writes 0's to the drive which you may be able to locate via this link

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html
1. Asus P4P800 SE 3.0Ghz Intel with hyper threading and 1 Gig of OCZ premium 400Mhz dual RAM. <br />2. Averatec 3200 series AMD 2000 laptop with 256MB\'s of RAM

pat

A complete format should have taken care of the problem, but I agree that using the manufacturers maintenance utility to write all zeros to the drive will work as well. If you use that you may want to disconnect your drive with the data on it to avoid accidental eraser and just work with the old drive and the utility CD.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ira Carmichael

Thanks this has all been very helpful -I am going to be installing the HD in a friends computer who is also infected and has not the money to take it to the pros so I will let you know how it goes.

Ira
Ira Carmichael

Hoot

If you used the repair console and it didn't work it was probably because you really didn't do a real total reformat but a windows "repair" install which leaves data in tact but th new copy of windows is installed over the old one. If you boot from the Windows CD it should get rid of the virus/trojan/rootkit etc.. with a real reformat.

Boot n Nuke also works fantastic I use it quite frequently for customers PC's or reselling old drives. The Drive manufacturers apps also work great for a basic low level format (nuke) (1's and 0's).