• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

MS-DOS

Started by DeCipher, January 16, 2003, 12:48 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

DeCipher

I just bought ms-dos ver 5.0 and i want to set up a dual boot system with it , xp and linux. I have XP and linux installed working fine, but how do i get ms-dos to install in a certain partition? I couldnt find anything on the disks. Or is there a different version that i can buy that has this option?

Thanks

Keith
"Our imagination is the only limit to what we can hope to have in the future."
Charles F. Kettering

query

You can do it, but remember the limitations of DOS - you cannot put the partition beyond the 1023rd cylinder of the drive (i.e., the partition has to fall within the first 8 GBytes of the drive).

You can either rebuild your disc from scratch, or use something like Partition Magic to do the job.

In this case, I would not bother - boot DOS from a floppy when you need it.

jerry4dos

You might look around for a MS-DOS ver 6.22 -- the last one issued.  It's a lot better than ver 5, which was a little buggy.  The best thing about ver 5 is that it had (the last) good printed DOS manual.

Partition Magic works great.  I run it from a floppy disk, so it boots up "from the outside" and can "see" all your drives.  Make an empty DOS partition, and designate it as "Active."  Then shut down, and boot from your MS-DOS installation floppy disks.

After you've finished installing DOS, shut down and reboot with the Partition Magic disk, and designate your Windows partition as "Active."  Then install Windows using its floppy starter disk (or directly from the CD if your computer will "find" the CD player without drivers).  If you set up your Partition Magic using the BOOT MANAGER, Windows may tell you can't have a boot manger.  Let Windows disable it for you, and finish the Windows installation.  Then reboot with the Partition Magic Disk, and reset the BOOT MANAGER as the "Active" partition.

I love DOS.  It never tells me that I have performed an "illegal operation."