• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Finally, a Use for Sweet Gum Balls

Started by Whizbang, December 16, 2007, 14:23 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

You know that things are really getting boring when this topic is of any appeal at all to me, but there actually is a very practical use for these miniature imitation porcupines without legs.  Since they are hollow when dry and also full of holes, they offer little resistance to air penetration, even in huge piles.  When one of these piles is ignited, it produces its own wind and also an intense straight compressed conical flame that is about the hottest natural fire that you can find.  These physical properties of being full of holes, being round, and therefore not stopping airflow around them either make these annoying sitckerballs ideal fireplace kindling.  I plan on sweeping up our latest crop on my days off next week.  A small pile of these obnoxious ankle turners burns with the ferocity of several propane torches and at about the same temperature.  I just hate having to get a fire started after all of the coals have died by using bark or pieces of rotten wood. 

Another use for sweet-gum balls also comes to mind.  When you pick them up under a mower, they make excellent abrasive cleaners for the underside of the mower bed.  Just make sure no one is at the discharge side and that your mulching shield, if attached, can withstand the bombardment.