• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

I Am Being Downsized Again

Started by Whizbang, August 28, 2007, 22:07 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I realize that some of you think I have been involved in a rant about corporate blindness, but the reasons are quite personal.  Due to non-immediate family relations creating innumerable obstacles and untold battles, I never was able to make personal decisions simply based on my desired goals.  I was always trying to put out a silly "fire" somewhere or pull someone out of a "hole."  It was not until recent years that I was finally able to try to base decisions on what I thought would make life easier for my wife and allow her to at least take a part-time job instead of full-time employment so she could devote more time to the home, which she loves.  Sadly, I learned that my experience in numerous areas was a non-factor, even though all of my previous employers would have given glowing reviews.  I simply believe in the work ethic and would never use my employer nor take advantage of him in any way.  Throughout the years I have also  even restricted my time on breaks because I thought it a waste of time if I was not needing rest.  Many of you can nod in agreement that you also have the same attitude toward your jobs.

I have observed over the course of the last four years that much of corporate America no longer values the attributes that I nor many other qualified workers possess.  I have seen my current employment fall from 40 hours per week to 35, then 28, 22, 18, and now 16 1/2.  This was not the decision of the local manager but a corporate decision.  It is affecting everyone else in the business.

I thought that my last job would indeed be my last job because I had so much knowledge of the products and workings of business that I expected to be able to advance to a lower-level management position where I could impart my knowledge to others, train them, set a standard of work ethic to encourage them, and create an atmosphere of actually causing the employees to want to come to work.  I could not have been further from the reality of the situation.  The local manager at the time I was hired was a very personable guy who liked to befriend his employees and actually help them and take personal interest in them.  These are common sense attributes of anyone in authority.  Even good military conduct requires that the non-com and commissioned officers truly care about the recruits, although the average soldier cannot see that at the time because of the extreme and necessary discipline required in a military unit.

That local manager was fired because he possessed those attributes and ran against the district manager's policy of remaining aloof and unfriendly to employees.  The man that replaced the local manager is a very cold, aloof, hot tempered fool who despises those who are older than he and who know more than he does.  That made him reject most of the employees in the business for promotions ( He has been with the company for only 3 years and has made it his goal to rise to the top) and instead turn to "off-the-street" replacements for lower management.  We were all shocked because it is totally against stated company policy.  That automatically eliminated any possibility for advancement for any of the experienced, older, and friendly employees.  The one chosen to be the head of my former department is a former young police officer with no experience in the fundamentals of the business.  His only reason for wanting the job was that he "was tired of being shot at."

I realized that my dream of going anywhere in that business was up in smoke; and many others followed my departure for the same reason; but my current situation, although much easier due to the respect I have for the manager, has reached a dead end because of corporate decisions.  I will refrain from analysis, only stating that I have applied for Social Security to make it possible to make ends meet while I try to shore up what is left of the dream.   I find it more than a bit ironic that the very system I have for so long sought to avoid has become the only resource available to prevent our bankruptcy.  This is not intended to be a sad commentary, only a statement of reality.  My wife and I will now be able to pay off some bills, and I should have some breathing room to make adjustments to some other endeavor.

I am not bitter, but I am sad due to what I see happening.  Two young men who were recently hired by our company were so disillusioned by the chaos that both quit without notice.  The legacy that we are leaving to a coming generation is very ominous indeed.

Mark H

Whizbang,

I hate that for you and this country. I had 13 interviews after being downsized due to the entire plant shutting down. I was told that I was too qualified by 6, not enough design experience by 2 and the other 5 was me not wanting to move to Louisiana or Mississippi because my wife is a teacher. Of the 6, 4 of them hired engineers out of college over me presumably since they can pay them less. I then took a job teaching at a local community college before getting a job at a local engineering firm. I am now the lead engineer for our two largest projects and am regarded as the best engineer in the process department for leading projects.

Isn't it interesting that a local firm would hire me into a design job and realize my abilities, but the large corporations could only say I didn't have enough of that kind of experience? Corporate America is failing and it all boils down to managers having "me" attitudes and businesses taking profit over employee loyalty.

I hate that I have at least 28 more years before I retire. I can't imagine how Corporate America will be in the next couple of decades. The great thing is that a Toyota plant is here and has been expanded twice with a third coming. It is regarded as Toyota's best plant in the USA. The employees get the last two weeks of the year off with pay as the company shuts the plant down for the holidays. This is in addition to normal vacation for the employees. It isn't any coincidence that the workers are the hardest workers for Toyota in the country. Treat your workers well and they will give you everything possible in return. Treat your workers like dirt and you will find no loyolty among them.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Whizbang

I really appreciate your response.  My concern is not for my wife and myself but for America.  I know that sounds trite, but the true "American Dream" is not financial success but the real joy of being able to produce and being proud of your contributions. 

I began disciplining my kids when they were old enough to understand what "No" meant.  I would assume that they did not hear me the first time but would gently remind them the second time in quieter tones that I had said "No."  There was no third time, ever.  A small smooth dowel rod was an ample reminder.  On more than one occasion, I actually took the rod and deliberately hit myself very hard on the backside for the duration of a spanking just to remind myself of what it was like.  My son is now an engineer with a firm that would never give him up if they could find a way to keep him.  He is dead honest, friendly, responsible, and caring.  He is preparing for his PE test in September for the state of Texas.  I just have an idea that the firm has more in store for him than he realizes, if all goes well with the test.  He has never been one to use the word "love" to me much, but he wrote something to me in an email last year that brought tears to my eyes.  "Daddy," he said, "I sure miss those fishing trips that we took during the summer." (sigh) I do too son.

I will leave it at that because I have a great deal of anger within me against a society that is losing virtually all sense of self-discipline and responsibility to others.  There are many who have died so that I could be free, and I owe them all that I can to return the debt.