• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by John, March 01, 2002, 13:36 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

John

memesuze, Tell us about your computer. Make, model, processor(cpu) speed, Memory ie. RAM, Video adapter, sound card and motherboard. Do you currently have a CD-RW drive or not. Lot's of questions first. Also you might read this from ZDNET. Also how do you connect to the internet. How do your grandbabies connect to the internet. Who is your ISP who is their ISP what kind of computer do they have using the same informatiion as above. I know there's more questions than answers but it is necessary.

http://www.poasters.com/images/pcguy.gif" border=0>

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

memesuze

The computer I will be using is not yet built: that's why I was asking for suggestions as to anything I need to be looking out for. I'm asking for 256MB of RAM, with a 800 MHz-1 GHz CPU.

Currently I'm on dialup with a local state-wide provider, Texas.Net, and will be having a 56k modem. However, it appears that I may need to be going to broadband to get the most out of this. Pierre and Rachel will be in Leipzig, Germany, but since it is another month before they arrive, I don't have a clue as to what their ISP will be like. Since he will be working at the University of Leipzig, they may need to take the kids to his work to get optimal results.

Thanks, Susan.

IkeaBoy

Typically video conversations over the internet can be a bit sluggish.  So when it comes to your dial-up account you can increase your odds by using a 352x288 capture and limiting the frame capture.  This will help keep your systems from locking up or causing resource problems.  Most likely you will want to go with either a USB or capture card device for video chatting.  You might want to take a look at www.premacam.com  We manufacture a few models that may be of interest to you.

You can find a few compression software packages for sending video email which would be an alternative.  They typically have a 900:1 compression, which would mean that your files that are typically 15-20MB could be sent in less than a megabyte.  I might suggest going to www.vianet.com to download a trial version.  

When it comes to audio... I would have to suggest anything by Creative Labs.  They have cards that range from 49.95-199.95.  Whenever it comes to playing games, recording audio, etc. they are used as the bassis of comparison.  Not to mention that everyone emulates their hardware.

memesuze

My grandbabies just moved to Europe and I am having a computer built that will enable me to converse with and see them in realtime. I have visions of reading "Mr. Paint Pig" to Axel and Elsa!

Do you have any recommendations regarding the type/brand of sound and video cards I will be needing? I am not a gamer, but plan also to do some cd burning. What about web camera? Anything in the rest of the box that needs looking at visavis videoconferencing via web?

Can anyone point me to websites that will get me started?

Any recommendations of software to use besides NetMeeting?

Thanks, Susan.