• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by pat, January 05, 2002, 05:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

pat

Darksilence

This is from pc911

What does Master and Slave mean?

On a normal motherboard there are two IDE controllers, usually called IDE 1 and IDE 2, or Primary and Secondary IDE controller. Each controller can handle up to two IDE devices, e.g. two hard drives, a hard drive and a CD-ROM, etc. meaning you can connect up to 4 IDE devices. Even though each controller can handle two devices, it can only transfer data for one device at a time alternating between the two devices. Therefore it is best if you only have two IDE devices in your system (one hard drive, one CD-ROM) to put each one on a separate controller.

To distinguish the two devices on each controller, you designate one as the Master device, and the other as the Slave device. This is done by setting jumpers (called "jumpering") in a certain fashion determined by the drive manufacturer and documented usually on a sticker on the drive itself.

Therefore:

The first device on the first IDE controller is called Primary Master.

The second device on the first IDE controller is called Primary Slave.

The first device on the second IDE controller is called Secondary Master.

The second device on the second IDE controller is called Secondary Slave.

For the complete article see this link:

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/idedrv1.html

Hope this helps

Pat

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

darksilence

Hi...

I want to learn more information on the Gigabyte motherboard GA-7VTXE+. I've visited the Gigabyte site (www.gigabyte.com.tw), however, it seems like the site is temporary down. If anyone can put in his or her two cents, I'd appreciate it.

Anyways, I have a two-part question:

1. Where can I find this motherboard?! I've tried newegg.com pricewatch.com., and local stores. They all sell the GA-7VTXE model (this version has only upto ATA100 support, instead of ATA133). If anyone can help, I'd be grateful.

2. On the motherboard specs, it states the following:

2x UDMA ATA66/100/133 bus master IDE ports on board

... Does this mean that I can have only two combinations of drives (ie: 1 HD, 1 CD-ROM)? Or does it mean I have up to four combinations of drives (ie: 1 HD, 3 CD-ROM). I just want to clarify this.

THanks for your time.

-----------------

... everyone lives someone else's perfect world.
-----------------

... everyone lives someone else's perfect world.