• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, September 27, 2001, 10:27 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

dave0014,

Welcome to Poasters. To answer your question, it depends. If gaming is your priority, you'll want to lean toward the GeForce2. If multimedia and basic all around performance is your priority, you'll want to lean toward ATI Radeon. If you are a very serious gamer, you'll want a GeForce3, or wait for the ATI Radeon 8500 (about $400) to become available. I can't tell you much about the Hercules 3D Prophet, but I'm sure other Poasters here probably can.

I'm currently building my own system, and I plan on installing the ATI Radeon 7500, 64MB DDR (about $179).

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

John

Dave, welcome to Poasters Forums. As Scuzzy has already said selecting a video/graphics card depends on how or what you intend to use it for. Also what kind of computer do you have. What are the specs. Can it handle the video/graphic cards you mentioned. Will the monitor you use work with the card. There are a lot of variables to consider. Does your motherboard have onboard video. Does the computer use an AGP port. If so what rating. Think of this. If you have a motherboard that uses a 2X-AGP port and you install a video/graphics card that is 4X then you most likely wont get all the benefits and most likely will create whats called a bottleneck. Too much speed for to slow and opening. Here is a good series of articles to read by David Risley from PCMechanic Also another one from Maximum3D concerning the Hercules card. If you poast back we can be a little more specific. Good luck,

http://www.poasters.com/images/pcguy.gif" border=0>

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

BlueIce

I have the used the 32 meg GeForce2 for about 5 months and it is a good card but the DDR cards are a much better card faster and deeper

Hercules cards are very good but there are some good alternitives out there at about half the price I have a Hercules 3D Prophet GeForce 2 Ultra 64 megs DDR

And I have an Elsa 64 meg DDR GeForce2 I like them both they are the best cards i ever had glad i spent the money, but now the same quality is cheaper

As Long as it is Nvidia I will buy it

http://www.poasters.com/images/ice.gif" border=0>

dave0014

everything that you wrote john is pretty much german to me, how do i find those things out?

John

Dave, glad you poasted back. The first thing you need to do is tell us everything you can about your computer. Make and model, would help. Do you have any documentation that came with the computer. If so look for the specs. The most important thing to remember is, don't get impatient. What ever it takes we will help. We need to know what make and model motherboard you have also. The more information you provide as to your system the better. What you do or want to do with the computer will tell us a lot about the video/graphics card you might want to consider. Poast back with as much information as you can and we will go from there ok.

http://www.poasters.com/images/pcguy.gif" border=0>

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

dave0014

i dont know much about video cards but im gonna buy either a Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 AGP TV/Out, ATI Radeon 64MB SDR AGP, GeFORCE2 MX 64MB 2D/3D Graphics Accelerator, now these cards are in my price range so thats why im thinking of buying one, i think the prophet card is the best but im really not sure so please tell me which of these is the best or suggest another card in the $100-140 dollar range, thanx