• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Toshiba laptop failure

Started by aquarius, February 18, 2003, 11:53 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

aquarius

Have Toshiba 460CDX which refuses to boot.  When power supply 1st connected the green power-connected light comes on. After 30secs (or so) changes to orange flashing.  The internal battery does not charge up, there is no harddrive activity or fan if left on.  pressing the power on button causes power-on light and battery- light to come on momentarily and the screen to flash. After 30 secs the power connected light changes to orange flashing as before.  I suspect the internal power regulator is faulty - what do you think?

query

Could be - but before you dig deeper, you should reseat the memory modules and any mini-PCI cards (modem, network, combo) in the system.

aquarius

Thanks for that. I have reseated the memory modules and other connectors etc but it hasn't made any difference.  I forgot to mention that when first switched on the battery charge light also comes on with the power-on light.  After the 30 sec period the battery light goes out when the green power-on light changes to orange flashing.

John

aquarius, you might try a new AC adapter. Here is a link for Toshiba 460CDX parts from  Impactcomputers. Good luck,
Cogito Ergo Sum

aquarius

Thankyou for link to Toshiba parts, however I have tried alternative power supplies and have also checked that the 15v actually appears on the input socket of the lapop.  Also checked the printed circuit tracks to make sure there are no cracks.

portablecomputer.com

I just repaired a Sony with a similar problem. The problem with this machine was the CPU. Not saying that is your problem but it very well could be.

If you run out of possible answers let me know. We do FREE diagnostics on laptops and can tell you what is wrong with the machine. Nothing to lose but shipping cost.

Wesley Forrester
PORTABLECOMPUTER.COM

================================

aquarius

Quote from: portablecomputer.com on February 27, 2003, 11:36 hrs
I just repaired a Sony with a similar problem. The problem with this machine was the CPU. Not saying that is your problem but it very well could be.

If you run out of possible answers let me know. We do FREE diagnostics on laptops and can tell you what is wrong with the machine. Nothing to lose but shipping cost.

As I live in the UK, I imagine this would be uneconomicle ?

portablecomputer.com

Yes. I am sure there is a few good laptop repair company's in the UK. Just find one that does not charge diagnostic fee's.
Wesley Forrester
PORTABLECOMPUTER.COM

================================