• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Thinkpad OS Swap....

Started by 87transam, February 09, 2003, 22:33 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

87transam

Hello everyone.  This is my first post on this forum.  I have a question that is probably gonna be easy for most of you.  My dad just gave me his old IBM ThinkPAD 380XD.  Its 233MMX...with windows 95.  95 HAS to go.  Most of the programs I need to put on it need 98.  Im basically using the laptop as a tuning tool for my car.  It will be used for other things here and there too.  
Anyway, here is my question.  Im fairly good with computers, I just get nervous when it comes to things like wiping out the hard drive to install new OS.  I dont have any software with this computer.  I have a windows 98 disk that I got, but never used.  I was going to upgrade my old desktop, but just got a new one instead.  I tried to just upgrade, but it wouldnt let me, so I have to do a clean install and format the hard drive.  
First of all, can this be done with a 98 disk that was bought for a desktop?  or is it different for laptops.  Second, will I be able to format C:\, pop in the windows 98 disk, and install it with no trouble?  Like will the disk have all the drivers needed to make the laptop function like its supposed to... i.e. modem, ethernet, and sound cards.  
So...to summarize this way too long post...  I need to get rid of windows 95, and put windows 98 on this laptop.  And I need the laptop to work like its supposed to.  Anyone with any help please let me know what I should do.  Thanks in advnace everyone!!

Justin

dcsun

Welcome to Poasters

Lots of questions there, so just repeat any I miss ;).

First of all, the drivers.  If they aren't included with Windows 98, they should be available on the IBM site, so that shouldn't be a problem.

As for how to wipe the hard drive, the simplest way is to make yourself a boot disk on another working system (preferably also with Windows 98 or ME to avoid any problems).  Format a floppy disk and check the option to copy system files (that will make it bootable).  Then also copy over 'format' and 'sys' from the c:\windows\command folder (assuming the system you're making this disk on has Windows 9x or ME).  Then insert that disk in the laptop and turn it on.  That should bring you to a dos prompt where you can format it, using "format c: /u" (sans quotes).  Once that completes, make the hard drive bootable by typing "sys c:".  After that's finished, remove the disk and start the machine.  That should get you to a c: prompt.  Once there, all that's left to do is install the new Windows version.

If the cd-rom drive is bootable, simply insert the cd-rom in the drive and turn it on.  If you're not sure, you can either play with the settings in the bios and see if it is, or just move on to the other method.  Which is, find a set of generic MS-DOS cd-rom drivers on the internet (they shouldn't be hard to find).  Install those and you should be able to get a d: prompt, at which typing "d:\setup" should start the Windows install process.

One final note, be sure to use Windows 98SE (second edition) if you can, as it offers a number of fixes and new features over Windows 98.

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any follow up questions you have :).

dcsun

Note: something screwy going on here with the escaped slashes, so read any double slashes in my message as a single one.

>> Seems to be fixed now -- disregard ;).

Norm

There is another option that can be used - find, borrow or create a Win98 start up disk.  This will enable CD ROM support for most CD drives to enable installing the Win 98 CD.

If I recall correctly the Win 98 CD is not bootable, it requires the use of an installation floppy or a  Win 98 start up floppy that loads the DOS CD drivers when installing to a clean drive.  

The Win 98 start up disk will have the utilities necessary to partition (fdisk) and format the hard drive.

HTH!

dcsun

Nope, both the 98 and 98SE discs are bootable.  If your cd-rom isn't bootable, you'll need to create the boot disk, but try the cd and the boot order in the bios first.

87transam

Hey thanks for the help!  Ive already learned more from you than I haven from trying to talk to IBM.  Ok...everything sounds not too hard.  I do have 98SE, which is good.  I was on the IBM website, and did find some updated drivers.  

Where I get confused is when I have to make a boot disk from another machine.  Im on a machine right now that has windows 98SE on it, so I have a good computer to work off of.  Let me see if I have this straight.  On the good computer, I pop in a floppy.  Then I format it, and check the box that says copy system files.  After thats done...I should also copy the other two files 'format.com' and 'sys.com' onto that same floppy?  Then when that is inserted into the laptop and the laptop is turned on, I should be taken right to a DOS screen.  I actually just tried this and it booted up to the A:\...is that right?  and I just type the format command from there?  
From there, I format the C drive by typing format c: /u...?  what is the ' /u ' for??  Im familiar with formating my c drive, as I have done it a few times on my desktop.  
Ok...so now I have a clean hard drive.  All I should have to do is throw in the 98SE cd, and stype in the setup command, or if it autoloads or whatever...and start the installation.  
If that sounds like Im on the right track, just let me know, and let me know anything else you all think off.  Thanks A TON for your help already.  Sorry for all the questions at first, and in this post.  I just really dont want to mess this up...free working laptops dont come along every often.  :)  

Justin

dcsun

You're at a point where you really can't mess it up.  The worst case scenario is that you have to format it again, so there's not much to worry about :).

Yes, after you've made the disk you use that to format the laptop's hard drive.  The /u switch is an unconditional format, meaning it doesn't save a backup (which becomes useless in a few seconds when you write a new file to the drive :P).  I should have also mentioned the /q switch to do a quick format, so that gives you a command that looks like "a:\format c: /q/u".  Then you 'sys' the hard drive to make it bootable, using the "a:\sys c:" command.  At that point you should be done with the disk, and the hard drive should boot to a c:\ prompt by itself.

The only snag you may hit is if your cd-rom drive isn't bootable, as explained above, but I can give you a couple extra files and some instructions if that happens, and it only adds a couple extra steps :).

87transam

Hey thanks alot of the help...  I did all of that stuff today and 98 is up and runnin on the laptop.  I had to use my DELL floppy to get the CD-ROM to work, but after that it was a breeze.  All the drivers were already on there except for the video driver.  I had to use the file from the IBM site.  

I do have one more question.  Is there a fix for the high pitched noise that I hear coming from this thing?  It starts for a few seconds, then stops...then starts...then stops.  There is some number on the IBM page that Im supposed to call to get the patch for this....  Does anyone know of this?  or how I can fix it?  

Again, thanks for the help with switch my OS.

Justin

dcsun

Glad to hear you got 98SE installed okay.  I'm not familiar with that problem, but I'd imagine if a patch exists, you can download it on the internet.  If it's not on the IBM website, have a quick search for it.