• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Advent 6419 laptop

Started by Multispindle, December 19, 2002, 09:13 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Multispindle

Hi I have a advent laptop which is just over a year old.The problem is that everytime Iswitch it on by pressing the on/off button it takes about ten time before is up and running.When I press the on/off button it runs through the bios the first two screens then it just stops on the black screen and wont connect to winxp.

John

Multispindle, welcome to Poasters Forums. First off if the computer is still under warranty I would contact Advent. Also here is a link from Microsoft Support which may help. Good luck,
Cogito Ergo Sum

Multispindle

John, I think a few people have had this problem I have had a look at some newsgroups so the problem is there but nobody seems to know how to fix it.It must be an advent problem (pc worlds)own make I think.The warranty has ran out.
Thanks

John

Multispindle, did you try any of the fixes in the link from Microsoft I sent you. You might also try the built in System Restore in Windows XP.
Cogito Ergo Sum

Multispindle

Hi John
I did try some off the fixes no joy,I have rebooted it but still no different.Would there be a way to make a startup disk on XP I know you can in 95,98 & millenium but I cant see how on XP.
One more thing John once the laptop is switched on and winxp is on and ready to go I can turn it off then turn it back on again and it will come straight on?

query

You can download boot disks (floppies) for XP from Microsoft, or use the CD to boot from (there are five or six floppies required, so you might want to do the latter).

Multispindle

query,is that the only two ways and must you have 6 floppys.What I was going to do if it was only one floppy was see if it would start like that without rebooting my laptop again just to get the winxp screen on.
Thanks

John

Multispindle, you can try booting with the Windows XP CD and use it instead of boot disk's just as Query has said.
Cogito Ergo Sum

Multispindle

John if I used the cd to boot it up,would that not wipe my laptop of all my information.