• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Applications Not Working Please Help!

Started by O.o, July 29, 2002, 07:53 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

O.o

Hi my Dell Inspiron 7000 is very messed up. My operating system is Windows Me. Everytime I turn on my laptop a alert pops up and it says: ERROR LOADING C:\WINDOWS\NEWDOT~1.DLL THE SYSTEM CANNOT FIND THE FILE SPECIFIED. Everything on my laptop is not working, even my internet doesn't work and I have a Lan Network connected to my computer. I will appreciate any help you can provide me, thank you.

pat

First I would recommend a full system virus scan with up to date virus definitions.
Second I would suggest that you  download and run a copy of Ad-aware from Lavasoft.

From the reading I have done it looks like that NEWDOT~1.DLL is known spyware-foistware, Ad-aware should get it off your system.

For further information on newdot see these articles.
http://www.simplesecurity.net/kbe.asp?kbid=gen0096
http://www.cexx.org/newnet.htm

Try this and let us know if it helps.
pat
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

O.o

Thank you alot for the information you provided me, I followed the 2nd part of the instructions but not the first because my laptop wasn't able to start my anti virus scanning program for some reason. Did I do something wrong? Well I downloaded ad-aware from my computer and onto a floppy disk and installed it on my laptop and scanned my laptop for any spy ware and 127 components were found. I deleted them all and still when I start up my computer it shows the same message, and I am unable to uninstall the news.net thing on my laptop. Could I delete that file or is a part of my system?

O.o

and sorry one more thing, My Briefcase looks as a regular folder and i am unable to open it.

Chandler

Maybe if you install New.net again, and then run the Uninstall from Add/Remove Programs it will fix it (although it's a long shot).

New.net hooks into Internet Explorer very tightly and causes general instability (pretty bad in fact).

Or, if you can find the New.net dlls (there should be one in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins) then try running Regsvr32 /u <path of file>\<dll name> and see if that works.

Other than that, I think that a fresh Windows installation is the only option.

PS: New.net gets installed with the spyware infested iMesh.

dcsun

It also comes with Kazaa and some others.  Try running msconfig and see if the file is listed under the startup tab.  If so, try removing it from there and rebooting.

David

pat

I agree with Chandler, a fresh install of windows may be your best option.
I would however try to get all your important data off your laptop first.
Also don?t forget email and email addresses, product registration numbers from programs etc.

If you want to try to remove it first though here are the instructions from new.net

How can I fully uninstall the New.net plug-in?
To uninstall the application, please follow the steps below:
1.???Click on Start.
2.???Select Settings.
3.???Click on Control Panel.
4.???Double-click on the Add/Remove Programs icon.
5.???Select the New.net Application.
6.???Click on the Add/Remove button.
7.???Once the program has uninstalled, click on the OK button.
After completing all of these steps, please reboot the computer. This will have removed the New.net application from your system.
The above steps will fully remove the New.net plug-in. However, the Windows operating system will retain a record that the New.net plug-in previously had been installed on your computer in "C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files." This file is harmless, but can be removed by following the steps below:
1.???Click on Tools.
2.???Click on Internet Options.
3.???Under the General tab, click on the Settings button.
4.???Within the Settings window, click on the View Objects button.
5.???Within the Downloaded Program Files window, locate and delete Tldctl2c Class.
6.???Close the Downloaded Program Files window.
7.???Click on the OK button within the Settings window.
8.???Click on the OK button within the Internet Options window.
9.???Close Internet Explorer.

Here is the manual removal from Microsoft.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

John

XxazndragonxX,  when using Ad-Aware make sure you check Memory and deep scan under Sections to scan.  By default these are not checked.  
Cogito Ergo Sum

O.o

Thanks alot for the people who helped me through this problem. I have successfully removed all the new.net problems in my laptop.

scuzzy

XxazndragonxX,

I'm happy to hear you got the issue resolved.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

pat

XxazndragonxX,

Glad to here you got it sorted out.

Say, do you pronounce XxazndragonxX with a long X or a sort x?  :)

Anyway, come on back and join in the discussions.

pat