• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Best 64 bit Mainboards at Any Price

Started by Whizbang, April 01, 2005, 17:44 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I just thought I would toss this one out for discussion.  I had originally included 32 bit, but the current price of 64 bit AMD's make 32 bit boards a little dated.  I am not including dual processors, just single-pumpers.  My son has mentioned making up a super system for him, but the most important ingredient would be the mainboard.  I suppose the "best" category would require four SATA connections, the usual IDE, at least two firewire, and a top-notch audio chip.  Video need not be included.  Gigabite LAN also is not mandatory.  Overclocking is not a factor.

The price of 32 bit boards is taking a tumble.  That still makes them a little more appetizing than they would be without the 64 bit option.

Asus A8V seems to be the most liked.  Chandler had mentioned reservations about it.

I am curious to know if any new model 32 bit AMD boards are being designed or if the tooling is now exclusively on the 64s.

query

If price isn't an object and you're willing to buy a PCI-Ex video card, look no further:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-517&depa=0

32-bit AMD boards will be around for a while, but there probably will be few new ones.

The mainboard industry is rapidly consolidating and before long I suspect there will be just a handful of survivors - ASUS, MSI, Foxconn, PCChips/ECS, and perhaps one or two others - most of the third-tier is exiting the business - I suspect many of the smaller makers will refocus their businesses and get out of the mainboard business - that includes the likes of IWill, Jetway, Biostar and a host of others - following those who've already dropped out (Soyo, Acorp,  and others).

Whizbang

Very impressive specs.  I am not sure if the super-graphics would be necessary, but the rest is a complete package even without it.  There is hardly a place to put a finger on the board with all the components packed in.