• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

DVD Duplicators

Started by Pete, December 28, 2007, 13:27 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Anyone had any experience with DVD duplicators, do they do what they claim, copy any repeat ,any DVD, Rental , Purchased or otherwise?

I'm thinking of Teac, Sony , NEC or Pioneer.  Single copy, $181 to $190.

Thanks in advance for any info
Pete

Ace

From my research and experience... it's not the hardware that's the ticket; it's the software that will void the copyright protection built in, and allow one to copy a DVD.  Essentially, it's illegal to copy a DVD, as well as a CD.  Problem with CD's is that it's become so common and prevalent that it's difficult if not impossible at this point to step in and restrict the practice. It's become routine and commonplace, even if not allowed.   Any CD/DVD burner will handle the actual copying, if the thing is released to do so by removing the block.

The Motion Picture Industry made specific pains to make copying movies a big no-no.  The only "grey area" that's even remotely excused or argued as legitimate is copying something you bought, for yourself...  In case the original runs into some horrific demise.  Even that isn't kosher.  Naturally, the REALLY legally dangerous banned activity is copying something and selling it, especially in quantity.  Obviously, that just totally negates the income generation and business purpose of selling a movie or music. 

Also, as on Seinfeld, carrying in a video or audio recording device and then reproducing that for profit isn't acceptable to the original artists and production company... 

So, the issue isn't the tool but rather the notion that this material was made to be sold, and bought.  And anything that circumvents that premise is not acceptable to the creator.  Meaning, travel at your own risk.  That's what I've read on the subject through a number of queries, and would pass on.

Ace; my stuff isn't copyrighted.  Go figure.
Ring bells for service.

Pete

Thanks Ace,

That answers my question.

I was and still am thinking of buying  the Teac duplicator if I can duplicatae DVDs for my own use only.

Got a DVD player for Xmas and  since the old VCRs are about a thing of the past..guess I copied many many tapes for  self use only and am now faced with the same thing except  its now DVDs

So will get the monkeys lined up and trained

Regards

Pete

Ace

Well, sure, monkeys can do it.. I was just giving my personal experience. 

I don't know what the Teac unit does.. I'm assuming it's just a dual drawer DVD burner?  And you don't have two DVD trays on your pc, to try to burn anything that way..?  I'd just say keep in mind that if you try to burn a copyrighted DVD (which is pretty much any DVD...) no unit's gonna be able to overcome that block.  That's where the software tools and issues come in, as they essentially remove the built in protection.  I even tried just locating audio files on DVDs to try to then burn them, or copy over the video files themselves, but the thing is there's this pool of files and backups and you can't even begin to select out what's what from the scrambled mess. 

When I got my latest PC I thought it'd be the cat's meow (like Scuzzy makes) 'cause I figured I could copy DVDs same as CDs, but geez criminy once I tried it a zillion times and then Googled the stupid topic I learned that no way was that gonna happen. 

Ace; I tried copy and paste, but got Elmer's all over my hands.
Ring bells for service.