• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

New Monitor

Started by pat, November 25, 2007, 20:15 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

pat

Well I finally got an LCD monitor for myself, I've bought a few but they have either been gifts or to be used for other folks systems. I went with the Samsung 226BW .

This thing is huge, after two weeks I'm just now getting used to the extra screen space. Also getting used to all the extra space on my desk those 19inch CRTs take up a lot of space.  The picture is so clear and bright, almost too bright, the first thing I did was to turn the brightness down a few notches, but after some configuring, it's great. I am using it at the recommended resolution of 1680x1050 but found I had to bump up the font size to 110%. I tried the default large font size but thought that was too much, 110% works fine for me. So far I'm just using the analog connection as my KVM only supports the D-sub. I do have a tuner installed on my system and for the most part TV playback is clear and crisp as are DVDs and other video clips from the internet. If you are familiar with Vista ultimate add ons, they have the Dreamscape  desktop backgrounds that you can install that are basically just video loops that play on the desktop. Well, these are so clear and crisp the one with the waterfall looks like the water is going to come right out of the monitor and flow right on to my desk.

Anyway I got mine at newegg and the only thing that could make me more pleased would be another one right next to this one.  ;)
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Bill

Don't wait too long to convince yourself that you really, really need another one.  Matching monitors are always nicer than mismatched ones!

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

scuzzy

Well, heck, I'm already absolutely convinced beyond any reasonable doubt that I really need two. And I'm unanimous in that.

Unfortunately I can't even afford one.

Scuzzy; the envious cat.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Geez Louise, I know you guys have two eyes but do you really need two monitors..?  One is enough to keep me preoccupied.  Of course, if I do turn on the tv on the desk next to the computer, I can be bilateral and multitask.  Plus, there's the window.

And you better put a towel under that thing, before it ruins your desktop.  I was watching the Oprah Xmas show, where she loads up the audience with gifts.  It was from Macon (Home of Bacon!) Georgia this year.  For the finale, she gave each fan a refrigerator with a built in LCD screen in the door.  Besides the pointlessness of that (who has a refrigerator set for easy viewing..?) I thought it'd be funny if it was a CRT. 

Ace; I used to like CRT's.  But I'm nuts anyway.
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

Analog and digital options seem to be the rule now for LCD monitors, but do any mainboards have DVI output options for the onboard graphics? 

Edit:  I just discovered that I am a bit behind.  Such critters do exist in profusion.  Too much Free cell and not enough surfing.   ::)

pat

Yes the Nvidia 6150 and 7000 series, ATI Radeon Express 1250.

Not sure what is out for Intel CPUs though.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Whizbang

Yup, you nailed me.  Price is not bad either.