• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, November 28, 2000, 07:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

With Quantex shutting down their site, it will be difficult to get the right drivers. As I see it, you have 3 options:

1. Find someone else with a similar Quantex and get a copy of the drivers.

2. Go to the manufacturer's web site to try and find the drivers. (http://www.critchley.com/) If you contact the manufacturer directly, explain the Quantex situation to them. Remember that they have no requirement to support the modem, so be nice; you'll accomplish much more that way. Also, be prepared to provide as much information as possible before you call.

3. Buy a new modem. If you take this route, get a decent quality modem. 3Com US Robotics WinModem goes for about $59.

By the way, what is an 'enforced re-format'?

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

JustinKey66

quote:

1. Find someone else with a similar Quantex and get a copy of the drivers.

This was my plan ...

quote:

2. Go to the manufacturer's web site to try and find the drivers.

After talking with Critchley it seems they supply that component to 100s (if not more) manufactureres and they couldn't even say what chipset it may be in ... bit of a dead end

quote:

3. Buy a new modem.

That was his plan ...

Thanks for the advice but actually I got very lucky ... the Google search engine had a cached copy of the Quantex download page so I found the file name I wanted (56UKG301.EXE as it happened - the drivers for for the last  ISA MODEM they installed) but obviously the site where they were was long gone.

Then Google found another site with the file on but that site also seemed dead (single logo on the main page; no links ... sound familiar!) but going direct to the driver download from the cached page of this second site I found that the server must still have it stored and so managed to get it to download.

He better not lose that disk!

quote:

By the way, what is an 'enforced re-format'?

That's when the machine gets so screwed up and a Windows re-install doesn't fix it, there's no other option!

Justin

scuzzy

Justin,

Congratulations on finding the driver. You're either very persistent, or very lucky. Or maybe a combination of the two. I'd say your friend owes you.

You did get me thinking on the possibility of starting our own collection of drivers on this site. You never know who may benefit.

Scuzzy

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

JustinKey66

quote:

Congratulations on finding the driver. You're either very persistent, or very lucky. Or maybe a combination of the two. I'd say your friend owes you.

Luckily he agrees with you

I reckon a combination of the two ... it took me quite a while (though it would have helped if he told me he knew the filename he was after!)

quote:

You did get me thinking on the possibility of starting our own collection of drivers on this site. You never know who may benefit.

If you do this is the Google cached page of the cybmax site that I used:

www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.cybmax.com/support/drivers/drivers.asp%3Fcategory%3Dmodem+56ukg301&hl=en

(or search for 56UKG301 and go to the cache of the non-Quantex page since this seems to be confusing the forum output)

which still has links to the drivers - I used the HTTP link BTW

Note that the actual page itself doesn't exist anymore so I don't know how long the drivers will still be available.

You can email me if you have trouble and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for providing this forum where people who've been let down can get some help (or failing that, sympathy!).

All the best,

Justin

Edited by - JustinKey66 on Nov 28 2000  09:58:55 AM

scuzzy

Thanks for the very useful tip, Justin. The administrators will seriously consider adding drivers to this site. We'll blame you if it doesn't work out. Actually, thank you very much for your input.

query

Many of the Quantex/Cybermax/Fountain  modems were from a Taiwanese company that sells under the name of Accord:

http://www.accord-tel.com/

JustinKey66

A friend of mine recently had to do an 'enforced re-format' and then discovered that not only did Quantex not supply him with drivers for his MODEM but also that they had gone bust so he could no longer download them from the site.

If anyone can offer help on an alternative download area, or who can send the drivers by email please let me know.

Info:

Machine is a P2-450 that was the top of the range gaming machine when bought 2-ish years ago.

The modem is a V90, 56K voice/comms (and that's all it says in the spec)

The following numbers are on it:

Critchley - 9010 CR/0059

281C8900HA

98-501-100323

AFC11

CE168X

I know the Critchley transformeer is used in lots of things and they haven't been able to help

I don't know what the other numbers are.

If anyone could even take an educated guess at the chipset it would be a great help!

TIA

Justin