• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by QQQ, June 20, 2001, 01:00 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

QQQ

Altec Lansing makes decent speakers and they have a variety of 3 piece speaker sets ranging from "bottom-end" to "audiophile." But even though models such as the ACS-33 are considered their "bottom-end," don't let such a designation throw you.  They don't sound bad.

The ACS-33 are available at Best Buy for approx $50.  They have a power switch and a volume switch (same switch, actually).  I do not know whether or not you can connect headphones to them, though.

If they are still available (they have been discontinued but stores might still have stock), the ACS-45.1 are not much more than the ACS-33 but, in addition to a higher wattage output for both the sattelites and the subwoofer, they have better sound, separate power switch and volume controls.

If you want to go a little higher in price (approx $80) you can get the ACS-45.2.

To look at the specs for any of the current models, you can find them here:

HTTP://www.alteclansing.com/webapp/commerce/command/ExecMacro/Altec/macros/main.d2w/report

John

Hi Karen, I reccomend the Altec Lansing speaker and subwoofer model ATP3. They are really good and the price was right. $58.00 I found them at a place on line where I buy most of my system components. Directron.com Or you can go to http://www.directron.com/atp3.html  and take a look for yourself. The best part is they sound really good. John

Edited by - John on Jun 20 2001  11:51:40 AM
Cogito Ergo Sum

Andreas

QQQ and John  are right. I am not sure if you have experienced any of the Altec-Lansing 3-piece speaker systems, but for the size, they are superb. The bass from such a little box is also amazing. Check out the full line of the AltecLansing 3-piece speaker systems at http://www.altecmm.com/webapp/commerce/command/ExecMacro/Altec/macros/main.d2w/report

Also, CompUSA has a few of these speakers for you to listen to.

http://www.idealpcsystems.com/name2.gif" border=0>

Karen

Thanks to QQQ, John and Andreas.  

Altec Lansing it is.  Will check them out at CompUSA this weekend.  (The Best Buy speaker test board is usually broken.)  The Boston Acoustics I purchased were actually the only speakers working on the test board at the time and sounded ok in the store.  Wasn't until I got them home that I heard their true sound.  I guess all the ambient noise in the store masked their flaws.  At least Best Buy has a good return policy.

Will let you know which Altec Lansing I choose.  Thanks again for all your help.

Karen

I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

Karen

Finally took the Boston Acoustics back to Best Buy and was able to exchange them for the Altec Lansing ATP3.  Fortunately, the ATP3's were on sale this weekend at Best Buy.  I paid an additional $10 plus the exchange of the Boston Acoustics.  The sound quality is excellent (especially for a 3 piece system costing only $70.)  I am extremely pleased with them and would recommend them to anyone else looking to replace their PC speakers.

Thanks to all who recommended Altec Lansing.

Karen

I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

QQQ

Hi Karen,

Glad to hear you found a set of speakers to your liking.  Getting them on sale was a wonderful bonus.  :)

Karen

Well, it's time for new PC speakers.  My 2-1/2 year old 10-watt 2 piece Labtecs finally died.  Of course, I helped them along by playing them a little too loudly and the right speaker finally blew out.  All in all, they had very good sound and were a bargin at the time for only $35.

This past weekend I splurged and purchased the Boston Acoustic BA635 3 piece system (2 small satellites and subwoofer) at Best Buy for $60.   Don't know the wattage as it's not listed on the box, any of the documentation, the speakers, or the on-line specifications (very strange indeed)!     http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ProductsPage.asp?ProductID=69&SpecID=5&SeriesID=31    

What a disappointment!  The bass sound is decent, but treble is awful (almost non-existent), and the small metal satellites begin to reverberate at about 1/4 turn of the volume knob.    Needless to say, the Boston Acoustics are being returned to Best Buy.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good sounding speaker system for around $60 give or take a few bucks?  

I really don't care if it's a 2 piece or 3 piece system, as long as the sound is good.  My only physical specification is that the speakers or satellites fit into an opening 9-1/2" high by 4-3/4" across.  My computer desk has built-in speaker shelves on either side with these dimensions.  A headphone jack and power switch is preferred, but not absolutely necessary.  The old $35 Labtechs had both, the Boston Acoustics have neither...only a volume knob.

Also, I am aware that wood is the best material for speakers; however, in my price range, I know that's not an option.  The Labtechs speakers had a plastic enclosure with a fabric grill cover while the Boston Acoustic satellites have a metal enclosure and metal grill cover.  I think that's where the reverberation problem is coming from.  

Any suggestions/recommendations you can provide will be most appreciated!

Karen    

Edited by - Karen on Jun 19 2001  7:57:15 PM