• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, June 19, 2001, 13:37 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Kurt,

It would probably be helpful to poast the basics of your system, such as CPU, memory, etc. Also, does your system support AGP?

I installed an ATI Rage Fury Pro 32MB (AGP) in my system last year, and I've been very happy with it. The last time I looked, Best Buy was selling them for about $89. I paid about $99 for mine, after a $40 rebate. It has DVD hardware support, which is absolutely superior. If you really want a tuner, you might consider the ATI All-In-Wonder 128 card (about $140).

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Kurt

System specs:  PIII 500mhz and 256mb of RAM. I use the Intel 3D AGP graphics right now.  My nephew likes to comment on my computer's poor graphics.  Is it that bad?

scuzzy

Is it bad that your nephew makes comments on the poor graphics? You might encourage him to buy you a new card.

The card I recommended in the poast above would probably make you happy, and should work ideally on your PIII 500MHz system. No, it's not a screaming graphics card, nor is it the best game card that money will buy. However, it is a fairly decent gaming card, and it doesn't cost $300 either. So far, it's performed well for me. It came with "Need For Speed", which looks very impressive on my 17" monitor. DVD movies also look great on the screen, and I like the CD player that comes with it.

Try this BestBuy Link: ATI Rage Fury Pro

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

John

Kurt, welcome to poasters. You say your system uses Intel 3d AGP graphics. Do you have an integrated AGP port and if so, is it 1X or 2X or 4X AGP port. If you do not have a dedicated AGP port you may need to try a PCI based video card. Poast back and let us know. It will help us a lot.  John

Cogito Ergo Sum

Andreas

I agree with Scuzzy. The ATI Rage-series video cards are solid cards with great track records. I had an ATI Rage Fury, and it served me well for many years.

http://www.idealpcsystems.com/name2.gif" border=0>

Kurt

Now that my computer case dilema has been solved, I have decided to upgrade my graphics card and I'm looking for advice.  I don't want to spend a fortune, but I would like something that has decent gaming capabilities and superior multimedia qualities hopefully including a tuner.