• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

"Baby" Wants Computer

Started by Whizbang, February 10, 2005, 18:07 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Igloo

the top one, including the side panel :)

looks sweeeeeeeeeet :D

also allows me to put a watercooling rig in there, if the budget allows :D
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Whizbang

I just received a memo from Xtreme Gear that the replacement case is on the way.  I discovered a benefit from having things shipped via UPS.  Some of the ladies I once new in "an earlier life"   ::)  are driving for them.  Ah, that flowers of spring would never fade.       :)

Whizbang

Case arrived today and appears to be virtually untouched by a human hand or elsewise.  Alas, one of the fairer flowers of spring did not bring it; but I will forgive UPS that oversight if all goes well.  I will be engaged in the "grueling" task of putting this computer together tonight.  I know, it is a tough job; but someone has to do it.  ;D

Carskick

Good luck! Hope everything is smooth sailing.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Whizbang

I put everything in last night.  This is a slow process because I am fighting a cold and cannot see very well at all when my eyes are puffy.  I booted up and went into BIOS.  Almost all options are automatic with this board (K7N2GM-V) and even CPU sets itself without any readout of the actual specs.  That is a bit annoying but not a major problem.  The one thing that is a problem is that the idle temperature of the 2800 Barton CPU is just way too high.  It pegs out at 143?F in just a couple of minutes with the AMD stock cooler installed.  That is with a side window fan, CPU fan, rear exhaust and power exhaust all working and turning in the right direction.  I am going to add an acrylic duct to the side fan to purge the air from the CPU area, but I do not see it dropping the temperature below 135?F at best.  Do you suspect a problem, or is this the norm?  Temperature does not vary  from that reading at all while just sitting there.  I just know that installing the software is going to drive it much higher.  My 2600 Barton setup has a steady readout of less than 120?F, while my T-Bird 1333 runs about 115?F.

(Later)
Setting BIOS to optimum and changing FSB to 166 X2 reduced temperature to 120.  However, the CPU will only run at 1250.  Very odd, but I will keep working with it.  The CPU setting is automatic.  Right now I can going to chill out.  I feel like death warmed over.

pat

My 2800 also runs on the warm side. With the stock heatsink/fan idle temps averaged 54-55 degrees C. with load temps up to 60 C. I tried various combinations of fans, etc and it really didn?t help much. I ended up getting a Cooler Master X-Dream 2 cooler. It was reasonably priced at about $12. Made a difference, my idle temps now average 48 C. and under load I rarely exceed 52 C.
I can?t say with any certainty but I think they just run hot. My system is always stable so I just don?t worry about it too much.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Whizbang

Thanks for the link, Pat.  I probably need to get an upgrade on the cooler.   That probably would let me off on adding an acrylic duct to the side fan.  I have never understood why AMD ships an average quality cooler with the retail CPU and then extends the warranty to 3 years.  ???

Chandler

Whizbang, it could be that your BIOS isn't correctly setting the registers to enable STOP GRANT Disconnect cooling.  My Biostar board did it correctly, my Abit one didn't.

The easiest way to fix this is with SpeedFan:
1) Download SpeedFan and install.
2) Start it up, and on the Readings tab click on the Configure button.
3) Go to the Advanced tab in the window that opens and then select nForce2 from the drop-down box.
4) Set the following options:
HALT - Disable
STOP GRANT - Enable
Tick the option to save settings next to both of them

Despite that, some motherboards report higher temperatures than others, even when it's an identical board.  My Dad's M7NCD hardly ever goes over 35?C whereas mine hit 55?C most of the time.  You may also be better off with fewer fans.  One exhaust on the back, and possibly a front fan (if sufficient size) should give good airflow.  I've found that having 1 exhaust fan set at the right speed can have just as good effect as several fans screaming away.

Igloo

my Gigabyte board reports temps 10oC hotter than they are really (i did this with a temp probe)

so my artic cooling copper 2 silent, keeps this thing at about 48oC under load, and 38-40oC idle....

my old 2400 used to run hot too, if i remember right.....
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Whizbang

I am pleased to see that someone else has found the benefits of SpeedFan.   ;)  I agree on limiting the number of fans.  I am running the power exhaust, the side fan, the top case fan, all of which were stock, along with the CPU fan and back case exhaust fan that I added.  Sheesh, that is five already!  I am upgrading the CPU fan/heatsink to a copper shim and oversized heatsink/fan.  For now, I am putting the unit aside until I get the hardware for the wireless network.  XP has been installed and everything seems to be OK.  Chandler, I know you are right about the BIOS setting affecting the temp.  After selecting optimum performance and adjusting the FSB, the temperature dropped 20?F.  I overlooked the fine tuning adjustments for the CPU.  When I dig the unit out again in a few days, I will check that.  It is rather difficult to work on my daughter's computer and not have her know what I am doing; so I decided that the next time I get ot out, I will finish the job, "spill all of the beans" about what I am doing, and connect the network.

Igloo

hope she likes it  ;D

boy i wish i had the money to buy another pc :(

but ill keep saving, and as soon as i can, start to buy :D
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Carskick

Whizbang, the end of the XP line were very hot running CPUs. The 2600+ T-BredB in my HP can get up to 70C, but that's more of HPs fault. In a good case, it probably would be about 55-60C max. The upgraded cooler is probably a good idea for increased stability. I wonder if one will be necissary if I get the A64 Winchester? I hope not, since it is supposed to be a cooler running CPU with better stock cooling. I guess we will see.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Chandler

Another thing to remember is that some boards read the temperature from the CPU's own internal diode, whereas others will read it from a thermistor in the CPU socket.  There can be a considerable difference between the two.

Carskick

I also wonder how accurate the temperatures I am given are as well.

Whizbang

This is a response to the last three.  ;)  

I am selling off my extra canna lilies to finish the rest of the purchase of the networking stuff.  I just punched the $100.00 mark in total assets for the final outlay, including my toss-in-the-can pocket change.  Rich, I am not.  

My 2600 XP case did not have the initial heat spike that this one showed, but my K7N2 Delta board uses a thermistor under the CPU.  In spite of the hearlded accolades for the diode read-out, I tend to believe that the thermistor is more accurate, albeit much slower in response.

Whizbang

Here are the pics.  I decided to provide only links to most of them.  I was amazed at how well the nVIDIA GeForce4 MX performed on this K7N2GM-V Micro ATX.  I put some pics online of Master of The Skies aerial game from Small Rockets just to show the quality of the video.  This is the first board I have used that will allow vertical ascent and even attack on vertical ascent.  All others even with separate video up to 128meg fail when attempting vertical maneuver and usually go into an unrecoverable stall.  This one has no problem executing flawlessly and with much greater realism.  Notice that there is no fade out on the wing struts.  All other boards with installed video cards had stair-stepped video pattern on outlines of fine lines and would disappear in certain orientations.  This video chip just shares a measly 32 megs of mainboard memory.

High Flyer
Daughter's Puter

The MSI monitor readout is for the CPU temps after I added the CoolerMaster CPU fan/heatsink.  It is much quieter than the stock fan.  Readings are at idle and just after gaming.  That is about as good as I can get them.

I am not good at modding yet.

Buffalo2102

QuoteI am not good at modding yet.

Just get yourself an old Parka coat with a target on the back and a Lambretta scooter.

Buff; Sorted!
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.