• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Quick Fix for Messy Cabling

Started by Whizbang, August 17, 2004, 21:30 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I have decided that the most practical way to reduce IDE cable clutter is simply to fold it side-to-side like an accordian and then tape it in about four places.  It works better than round cables, is stronger, easier to bend at 90 degree angles, and is way cheaper.  I spent part of an unexpected morning off redoing the main case.  I wish I had taken "before" pics, but the contrast is extreme.

Webshots will not let me link to an image, so I included the URL links.

fold This is what the cable looks like when it is folded before taping it.

90 degree bend

Case
The gawkish floppy cable was left just to show that what is attractive in a catalog may not go over in a case.

The cables are hidden in the bottom tray.  There are so many because of the hard drive switch.

Case

The stainless fan filter with the magnetic tape is on the intake fan and requires less than a second to remove.

OK, the blue case is a bit too much.  I do prefer the brushed aluminum.  Lian-Li is nice, as is Cooler Master, but Cooler Master seems to be a bit more on the look than on the functionality.

The Silicon Image card was just inserted before this all began is is still not connected up to my non-RAID drives yet.

There is still work to be done.   :P

trav

Hey! Its a chrismas box!

Reb PCB, Green PCB, thats the very first picture of?  ???
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Whizbang

Quote from: trav on August 18, 2004, 16:06 hrs
Hey! Its a chrismas box!

Reb PCB, Green PCB, thats the very first picture of?  ???
Rub it in, rub it in.    :-[  Hey, an interior computer decorator I am not.   :P

Carskick

Nice Whiz!

I should do that to my HP to help reduce the high temperatures caused by poor case design and cable cluter. If I ever do it, I'll show you my pics.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Whizbang

Quote from: Carskick on August 19, 2004, 18:29 hrs
Nice Whiz!

I should do that to my HP to help reduce the high temperatures caused by poor case design and cable cluter. If I ever do it, I'll show you my pics.
It will help.  What I did not say is that I took out one exhaust fan and am going to install an intake fan on the right side by the hard drive stack.

the sheeep

when hiding wires you dont actually need sleeving... you can hide 90% of em wihtoiut anything extra cept some electrical tape
www.2-a-d.com
...if only parents trusted kids with technology...

Whizbang

The sleeving really does nothing except draw the cables into a round cylinder.  I agree, unless you want color or UV glow, electrical tape does the job, and is much cheaper.

Whizbang

I decided to remove one exhaust fan from the back and relocate it on  the lower right side of case over the hard drive rack because I was not getting any detectable positive air-flow.  I also dedided to "mod" it up by putting an LED lighted fan there as well as one of the stainless filters I purchased, mounting the filter with the quick-removal magnetic tape.
Cooler
The case bottom temperature had been running around 86 deg F but now runs the same as ambient room temp, about 76 to 78.  Other temps are about the same with maximum temp being the XP 2600+ CPU at less than 107deg F.

Carskick

Quote from: Whizbang on August 22, 2004, 17:11 hrs
I decided to remove one exhaust fan from the back and relocate it on  the lower right side of case over the hard drive rack because I was not getting any detectable positive air-flow.  I also dedided to "mod" it up by putting an LED lighted fan there as well as one of the stainless filters I purchased, mounting the filter with the quick-removal magnetic tape.
Cooler
The case bottom temperature had been running around 86 deg F but now runs the same as ambient room temp, about 76 to 78.  Other temps are about the same with maximum temp being the XP 2600+ CPU at less than 107deg F.

Can't get much cooler than room temperature using only fans. Good job!
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Dalaran

Well another easier way for the future is probably Serial ATA cables. They make the situation inside the case much more pleasant. And leaves space for any weird cooling u might wanna use. There's even a Plextor serial ATA DVD burner for the true geeks   ;) . And u can use rubber bands to keep at bay any unused molex connectors.

iansl

I think Shuttle has an all-SATA barebones. Slick stuff, and kindof needed for even smaller cases. Otherwise things would just become an unmanagable mess.
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz 20" w\4GB RAM, LP1965 LCD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro
Macbook Air 1.6GHz 80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro, SuperDrive addon

The man, the mac user, the cell phone

Whizbang

I have a power connector kit that allows you to gang stack several standard power plugs on one main feed by using a 90 degree feed-through on each of the plugs and a 90 degree feed-through on the termination plug on the end.  If I can show you what I mean, I will try to sketch it out.

|=drive
|
|
|
|=drive
|
|
|
|=drive
|
|
|
|=drive
|
|
|
|
|
||
input from power supply

This way, there are no wires into the back of plug with another set coming out, requiring bending the wires to keep them out of the way.  These Molex connectors are shown in this poast:

Messy Cabling?

Hoot

I don;t ever build rwith messay cabling. It's because I hide wires behind the mobo tray and drives, but the right cases, and if it's an everyday customer (not a high end gamer freak) then I just use regular flat ribbon IDE cables and fold them very neatly (origami). I had pics and diagrams from Voodoo, the original oragami master of IDE ribbons sent to me, then finally I saw the Voodoo rigs up close and learned how to do it correctly. If it's a higher end gamer usually they want bling bling circus lights and rounded IDE cables I am slowly becoming the Anti-Modder as I get older, but still fold cables very neatly and run wires very carefully. I also sleeve power supplies with flagging tape from home depot. it's UV reactive too, and looks great.

jrweissr

www.coolerguys.com has rounded cables starting at $.99 ea and UV style for $2.99. Have used these for a few years with great success. A good company to do business with and they run specials weekly.