• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Laptop powers off

Started by cosmo_234, August 30, 2003, 17:06 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmo_234

I just purchased a laptop from a large company (sorry don't know if I can mention the name), in June 2004.  Since I have had the computer, it keeps shutting off (powering off).  It does it at various time, when I'm using it, when I'm not, and in different programs.  I've had it back to the company twice and they can't/won't fix the problem.

query

Many things can cause that - overheating, prime among them.  Check for a BIOS update for the notebook - that may fix the problem.

Do the shutdowns occur when in Safe Mode? If not, you may have a software problem under Windows.  If they do, it likely is a hardware problem.

If it's still under warranty, keep trying until they fix the problem, or ask them to replace the system with a new one.

cosmo_234

Problem...the company says that they can not replicate the problem, therefore in their eyes there isn't a problem.  However this laptop is only 2 mo. old and is partially functional.   Could a short in the power supply or in the outlet I'm using cause this problem.  Also, I know nothing of messing with the BIOS; I have reinstalled XP and still have the problem.  

query

Unlikely, unless you've removed the battery - if the battery is functional, it will act as a buffer -- almost like a UPS.

Does the problem occur when you run in Safe Mode?  I suspect it doesn't, and that will clue you in to a software problem, not a hardware problem.

cosmo_234

The battery is still in and it does shut off in safe mode.  I can't think of anything else.   When I was reinstalling XP, as the system would shutdown to automatically reboot, the system wouldn't power back up.  I would have to turn it on, and then installation would resume.  So, would that be a software problem, and if so, would I need a replacement copy of XP?  By the way, thanks for all this help.  

query

My guess would be a hardware fault - likely a faulty mainboard, at this point.

MXi

Can I ask something?  Is your laptop a p4, because dome cheaper p4 based laptops use a desktop processor instead of the more expensive mobile version.  This would mean very high temperatures and then if your motherboard had OHP (Over Heating Protection) it could be registering very high temps and shutting off your laptop, meaning you could probably fix the problem with a bios setting change.
Life is like a mexican highway.  Even if you can read the signs, you're bloody lucky if they're accurate