• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Dell Latitude Battery

Started by pat_, November 26, 2002, 18:30 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

pat_

Hi,I own a Dell Latitude CPI. It's a great machine,366mhz,6 gig HD,128MB RAM. I havent had any problems at all,except since a couple weeks ago.The battery is in the correct bay,it is recognized in the system,but it just doesn't work. When I go into the Power Options in the Control Panel,it shows a picture of a battery with a lightning bolt through it,and it says its at 0% and charging. When it has the lightning bolt through it,it means it's charging,but this has the lightning bolt and a RED X SIGN behind the lightning bolt.
This is really irritating me,cause I cant take it anywhere without my AC Adapter. I would really appreaciate a response,and some help!
                                                            THANKS A TON

query

Given its probable age, it's likely time for a new battery.  Lithium ion batteries are good for a year or two, or a  few hundred charge cycles before they no longer hold a sufficient charge.

The battery has an onboard circuit that communicates with the laptop - there is a possibility there's something wrong with the charging circuitry, but before spending money on service, try a new battery  - that should fix the problem.

dcsun

Welcome to Poasters

Windows (especially 9x) sometimes loses track of the actual charge of the battery.  It may be fully charged but Windows doesn't know it.  Disable all the power features for battery operation and then leave it running (on batteries) and see if it keeps running or quits (and make sure it hasn't just gone into standby).  If it keeps going you'll just need to let it totally drain the battery and then recharge it.  If it shuts off and you know it hasn't just gone into a power saving mode, it's probably time to replace the battery.