• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Help with HARDWARE details of HP OMNIBOOK laptop

Started by vin2206, October 17, 2002, 01:55 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

vin2206

Hi Guys,

Just got an HP OMNIBOOK 3000 laptop, it's a p 233mhz
and I don't too much about laptops.

I can not find the hardware details for this laptop anywhere.

All I want to know is:
 1.The kind of ram(like edo/sdram and number pins) that
     can be added.
 2.Can the current 4.1 hard-drive be replaced with a
    hitachi or any other 10 hard-drive.
 3.Is it possible to add a "10/100 Network Card - Xircom  
    RealPort " to the laptop.
 4.Is it possible to upgrade the cpu to a pii 300/400.

Thanks guys.

Norm

Welcome to Poasters.

Did you try going to the HP site?  I went there and found the service manual for your system as a downloadable .pdf file.  I took a very quick look through it and recommend you download it for yourself.  

1)  Unfortunately the manual doesn't specificy the type of RAM, only the maximum.  There is 16 MB of RAM soldered to the MB, with 2 slots for expansion up to a max of 144 MB.  This system dates back to 1997, so I am guessing that it uses EDO RAM.  Try a memory site like Crucial (www.crucial.com), and they may be able to help identify the type.

2)  The HD upgrade options in the manual only have the 4.1 GB drive as the maximum.  If you want to upgrade to a larger drive, the BIOS likely needs to be updated to the most recent version. Some of the earlier laptops had restrictions so larger drives could not be fully recognized.  There are various ways around this problem if the BIOS limitation exists.  There are "drive overlay programs" that fool the BIOS into recognizing the new drive.  These programs are generally company specific and you can often download them from the HD company site.  The drawbacks are that they give your system a performance "hit", so it is a bit slower.  Also there can be some complications if you have a HD crash and need to re-install the OS. You can also try the following technique that I saw posted on the comp.sys.laptops newsgroup and successfully used to install a 10 GB HD on a older Toshiba 440CDX  from 1995 (upgraded from 1.2 GB HD). You partition and format the HD on another system that does not have the BIOS limitation.  This can be on a desktop if you have the proper adapter, or another laptop.  When this is done install it in the desired system, and do a clean install of the OS, copy over any data that you require from the old HD.  You can get external USB cases to convert your old HD to a portable HD for under $100.00 USD.

3) Yes, the HP 3000 supports 16/32 bit PC cards, so zoom video and cardbus cards are fine as long as your OS also supports it.

4) No - the HP Omnibook 3000 can only support Pentium I MMX processors, which I think the fastest of which was 366 MHz.

If you cannot download the manual from the HP site, let me know and I can e-mail it to you - however it is 2 mb in size, so be sure your mailbox limits allow it.

HTH.

John

vin2206, you might check this link HP Omnibook 3000

As for the processor you are going to be stuck with the Pentium 233.
Cogito Ergo Sum