• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by QQQ, December 13, 2000, 23:28 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

QQQ

This is not a "hot swappable" component.  The sys should be turned off before installing the lan card.

When you instert it with the system on, the system needs to reboot so that it can recognize the card and load the drivers for it.

portablecomputer.com

Mircea...I have to agree with "QQQ" PCMCIA devices are not hot swappable items. You must turn the machine off or stop PCMCIA services before installing the card. Also make sure that when you put the card in, you put it in the same PCMCIA slot that you did before. The 1510 has TWO differant PCMCIA controllers. Switching between the slots will cause problems, especially for Windows 98

That notebook was built for ME or Windows 2000. I think if you concider upgrading you will see a big differance in performance. This is assuming you have the W-1510 and not the I-1510. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Wesley Forrester
PORTABLECOMPUTER.COM

================================

Mircea

QQQ and mcecom:

Thanks for the timely replies.

My Quantex laptop is an I 1510 and the LAN card is a D-Link DFE-650 Series Fast Ethernet PC Card. The latter  

>>> may be safley "hot swapped"<<< according to the manufacturer.

Regards,

Mircea

Joanie

Hi Mircea,

Welcome to the Forum. One of our resident experts should be around soon to advise you.

Please check out the URL below. Portable is offering help and free repair to stranded

Quantex laptop owners.

www.portablecomputer.com

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

QQQ

The lan card you have may be hot swappable according to the mfr, but if the laptop is not designed to have a pcmcia component hot swapped, what the mfr of the lan card says is moot.

Both components must be in concordance with hot swapability.

portablecomputer.com

You might want to try and download the latest D-Link driver from there site.

http://www.dlink.com/tech/drivers/

Wesley Forrester
PORTABLECOMPUTER.COM

================================

Mircea

I downloaded the latest driver, but it did not help. As I mentioned, the same card with the same driver works flawlessly on an Inspiron 7000. Therefore, it must be the laptop, not the card, that needs either a fine tuning or a more drastic remedy.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Mircea

quote:

You might want to try and download the latest D-Link driver from there site.

http://www.dlink.com/tech/drivers/

Mircea

I have a Quantex 1510 notebook running W98 SE. Whenever I insert the PCMCIA LAN card, the system reboots, gives me an error message about the network card not being properly configured, but, after I reboot again, everything works just fine ...  until the next time I try to insert the LAN card and I have to go again through the same ritual.

I used the same card on a Dell and it works just fine so I suspect there must be a problem with the cardbus controller driver on my Quantex, although W98 SE Device Manager shows that everything is working properly.

Any thoughts on how to fix this annoyance?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Mircea