• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Renee Fleming freezes!

Started by LugwidVanB, July 28, 2009, 15:22 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

LugwidVanB

Iââ?¬â?¢m enthralled listening to the Beautiful Renee Fleming sing Schubertââ?¬â?¢s glorious Ave Maria. I close my eyes and am in heaven when half way through I hear ââ?¬Â¦Ã¢â?¬Â¦Ã¢â?¬Â¦Ã¢â?¬Â¦Ã¢â?¬Â¦ silence. The red line with the ball stops cold, the pink line in front of the ball keeps moving. No sound, no picture. Renee is frozen and Iââ?¬â?¢m facing the real world again.  ??? This computer was build for speed gaming. Shouldnââ?¬â?¢t it be able to handle a YouTube video without freezing? Are there any settings I can work on? It has a nvidia geforce 6800 xt video card. Iââ?¬â?¢d greatly appreciate any suggestions. This happens often on any video Iââ?¬â?¢m playing, youtube or not. Thanks,

Tom

LugwidVanB

I think I should also mention I have AMD Athlon 64 proc, 3500+ 2.22 Ghz on Asus mb with 1 gig ram.

Bill

Tom,
I listened to that version on YouTube without difficulty and I have to agree, it's beautiful.

However, video anything is memory intense and a gig is probably not enough.  Generally 2 gig for XP is the recommended minimum, and many have twice that.
Memory is inexpensive, buy a matching gig.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

LugwidVanB

Thanks Bill. I will get on that. A guy told me that 1 gig was actually too much.

scuzzy

Actually, 2 GB of RAM for simply a YouTube video is more than enough. Even 512MB of RAM should easily handle a YouTube video. The older NVIDIA card should also not be a problem in any manner.

The problem(s) lie elsewhere.

Were you able to resolve the graphics driver issue?
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

LugwidVanB

Thanks Scuzzy. Yes, I got the driver for both the GeForce and the Samsung monitor dl and installed. THey no longer have yellow ? marks in device manager. Is it a matter of setting a large enough cache. Thanks for the input.

Tom

LugwidVanB

oops, I didn't mean cache. I meant buffer.

scuzzy

You tube requires adobe flash to operate. The best that I can think of is that there is some problem with your flash installation.

Go into add/remove programs (control panel) and uninstall any references to Adobe flash. Then go back to Adobe.com, and download and install the latest flash. For Firefox, you normally download the flash program to your computer (it's a small executable file), close out Firefox, and then double-click the file to run it.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

pat

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

LugwidVanB

Thanks for all you input. It looks like you guys have resolved another problem! I removed flash player then reinstalled it from the firefox site above. I was able to listen to a couple of youtube videos of Ave Maria, inclu the one by Renee Fleming. No freezing. It is a most beautiful experience, 4 min and 43 seconds of serenity.

I am trying to learn the piano solo for this. The melody is easy but it is the accompaniment that is most challenging. It starts out in right hand thirds then shifts to left hand thirds that go all the way through. It will take many months to learn. Listening to Renee Fleming sing it makes me want to rush to the piano and make it a labor of love. The piece also shows the genius of Schubert.

LugwidVanB

It didn't last long. I tried 4-5 youtube videos and everyone of them hung up exactly like before. Does anyone have this problem or is it just this computer? Frustrating.

Thanks,
Tom

pat

Try clearing your cache in firefox.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

LugwidVanB

This thing still freezes so I have the old win98 clunker with a relatively new video card in it. I was thinking about swapping it into this computer to see if it is the card causing the problem. Is this a good idea? Thanks,

Tom

Bill

Yes, that would be a good idea.  However if the w98 machine is really that old, there is a good chance the newer video card is not physically compatible with the motherboard of the old machine.  Do you know what kind of cards they are?  Not brand but  how they 'plug into' the motherboard.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

LugwidVanB

It's an ATI Radeon 9000 series that connects to a PCI slot but after looking at the manual I don't believe I want to try this. The manual says you have to remove the drivers for the existing card. I had trouble installing the drivers and am loathe to go through that again. After dl the driver from nvidia I kept getting an error message saying something like 7-zip error. I mentioned this in the other thread related to this. I may have to just give up on videos, at least for the time being.

Tom