• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

ESET Security Suite

Started by scuzzy, June 13, 2007, 17:27 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

ESET Smart Security Public Beta 1a is now available free of charge for testing. ESET is the maker of NOD32 Antivirus, which is what I've been using on all of my systems for the last few months.

I removed NOD32, Spy Sweeper, and ZoneAlarm from my main system and replaced the mess with ESET's Smart Security. The installation was simple and with no unpleasant surprises. Once installed, the software recognized my network and it automatically updated itself to the latest threat signatures. However, I quickly lost access to the other computers on my network, and vice versa. After a little poking around, I figured out how to add an address range for my other computers. I was then able to access the network, but only temporarily. I finally rebooted the computer, and all has worked well since then.

I like that ESET has an automatic mode, which requires little to no interaction from the user. Mostly, it just sits in the background and does it's job. However, I have my copy setup in the interactive mode, so I get the occassional popup that requests my approval for whatever it is that some software wants to do. Mostly it's the firewall behaving very similar to ZoneAlarm. If I check "remember this action" (or whatever the wording is), then it won't ask again for that particular software.

The automatic mode appears to work well, but I haven't given it much of an opportunity. I wasn't certain if the automatic mode was interfering with my network access, and I haven't yet gone back to take a look. I'll play around with it later on. But if the automatic mode does work well, it will be a great asset for the less experienced user who just wants the security software to work without being constantly nagged. The setup mode allows users to tailor how the software alerts the user of whatever. If you don't like nagging "info" balloons, the software allows you to turn off that feature. That's something I really appreciate. I'm permanently dumping Spy Sweeper because of the neverending nagging messages.

ESET warns that the software is not complete and that some features aren't working, but my copy is working smoothly with only some insignificant glitches. I have not noticed any bloat or slowdowns on my system, and the software has a nicely polished interface. I'll probably install it on the rest of my systems sometime tonight.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

pat

I've been using this on my Vista install for the last 5 weeks or so and for the most part it's been fine. Today however I got the notice that the beta was coming to an end and it was time to make a decision. So I tried to figure out whether or not to buy or try something else.

One of the things I find irritating about this software and some of the others out there is the addition of a spam toolbar to your email program. I don't know why but It just irritates me when one piece of software adds something to another piece of software and you can't turn it off, in this case a spam toolbar to windows mail. I use mailwasher to manage my email and don't need or want another program to do it so that was one strike against it and with the 60$ price tag I just can't justify keeping to use this.

I did try the new Bitdefender 2008 and ended up doing a system restore as it trashed my system. (From what I can tell it didn't fully install or uninstall.)

On to Trend Micro Internet Security 2008, been using it all day and so far its been fine. I decided to go ahead and order it up from the egg and to my surprise it's at 40$ with a 40$ mail in rebate and can be installed on 3 computers.

I think this will be ok as I just don't have the time right now to try out a half dozen or so security suites. 

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

I've been happily using the beta version for a few months now. I too noticed the "it's time to do something" message, since the beta program ends at the end of this month.

I may go ahead and renew for a couple years, but I've also considered giving AVG Internet Security a shot. Of course, the Trend Micro deal you came across sounds too hard to pass up.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Mark H

I use NOD32 by Eset for my Windows Vista 64 machine and it works great. I will have to give this one a look.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

scuzzy

For the last week I've been running trial versions of AVG Internet Security and ESET Smart Security side-by-side.

I think I'll stay with ESET. It's even easier to use than AVG, requires practically no input from me, and silently does its job without interrupting me that it found "44 malicious tracking cookies". Oh my, the humanity!

I also enjoy that ESET uses very little system resources, and ESET has done an excellent job keeping all my computers secure for the last 6+ months.

Scuzzy; I try not to use too many resources myself.