• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Fujitsu Siemens Laptop with Vista WLAN problems

Started by mbaldw, March 29, 2007, 16:19 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

mbaldw

Hi,

My gf recently purchased a Fujitsu Siemens laptop and it came preinstalled with Vista Home Premium.   The problem is that her WLAN connection keeps dropping out (built in IntelPRO/Wireless 3945ABG Chip).   She'll be working away happily on the Internet and suddenly Windows appears to disable the adapter and it is only re-enabled if she reboots.   We've tried updating the drivers and it seemed to stop the problem for a couple of days (it remained online overnight getting Open Office on torrent), but now the problem is back.   My Acer laptop (built-in WLAN), Sony Viao (PCMCIA WLAN card) and desktop (wired) -- all running XP Home -- don't drop the connection (which suggests it's not the router).   We've checked the power settings for the network adapter and it's set to "Maximum Performance".

Bizarrely, we brought a Belkin F5D7050 (v 4) USB network adapter which sees two other networks in our building (the closest of which is in a flat about 30m away), but won't even see our Linksys network, which is about 3m away in direct line of sight, let alone connect to it.

Anyway, can any offer any troubleshooting advice?   I be particularly interested if anyone knows why both built-in WLAN chips (when the FS laptop's is working!) see the Linksys router, but the Belkin USB adapter does not.

Many thanks,
Marc.