• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

I have a Question about laptop and modem connections

Started by Ptrk87, February 01, 2004, 18:39 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptrk87

Hey all... im currently looking into purchasing a laptop but have a question... there ere are 2 computers right now im my house and my cable modem and router are hooked up to one computer and i also have optimum voice  which are all in the same room and have to be in the same room due to all the phone connections. the computer that will be replaced witha laptop is the one with all the modem and router connections  , but when i replace the computer for the laptop and want to take the laptop to another location ...does the optimum voice and other connection for the internet get disabled if my laptop is not hooked up to the cable modem and router ?
if soo, are there any other devices that can be purchase to avoid loosing my optimum voice and internet service to the other computer ?

Sorry if this question sounds stupid but i dont know much about computers... LOL

If you know any thing about this question please respond ...

thank you  - patrick

Mark H

You can get go wireless with the laptop. You would need a wireless card in the laptop and then a wireless point of presence that would be connected to your router. You could get a wireless router instead if desired.

I am not sure what the optimum voice is, but if it is networked by the router and the internet connection is networked with the router, wireless is your ticket.

Just be careful with wireless and use encryption, or your information can be picked up from just outside your home with another laptop.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Ptrk87

mark h,
im am totally lost with this ... if you dont mind, can you please explain that me so it will be easier  for me to understand knowing i not the good with computers ...

will the internet run on the other comouters in my household if my router and or modem is not hooked up to my laptop ??

I am totally lost with this... javascript:replaceText(' :-\\')

Thanks - patrick

Mark H

Your cable modem should go into the internet connection on the router. The other PCs should connect to the router. Any PC connected to the router will have internet whether the laptop is connected or not if you have it setup correctly.

The router can be connected to a wireless point of presence that will communicate with the laptop if you put a wireless card in it.

You can go to a local Circuit City, Best Buy, Staples, or Office Max and a sales person can point you to the right components.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Ptrk87

Thanks Mark h you have answered my question... :)

thanks again - patrick