• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by John, January 23, 2002, 13:16 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Pat, actually not hard at all. Just about what you would expect. What size do you need. Try this 3klix

http://www.poasters.com/images/pcguy.gif" border=0>

John
Cogito Ergo Sum

pat

John,

Thanks for the link.

That darn computer wouldn?t boot into Windows again last night. I was able to get scandisk to run, although I got this message when it was done.

40 invalid directory entries were removed

3 directory entries, FAT chains were truncated

42 invalid directory entries were corrected 2 lost directories were reinstated

44,676 lost clusters were saved as files

37 bad clusters were patched

Plus it advised me to run scandisk daily because I could have hardware problems.

Do you think?

I think I will order one of those hard drives from that 3clicks and see how it goes. This one has a 4gig drive in it now. I?ll see how much my sis wants to spend and take it from there for a replacement.

I?ll let you know how it works out .

Thanks again,

Pat

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

pat

A couple of questions about a hard drive for this Toshiba Satellite 2105CDS laptop.

First a short history, this is my niece?s and the first time I had trouble with it was last summer. It would not load windows, it would start but you would only get a cursor flashing in the upper left of display. At that time I could not get the restore cd to work at all. I was able to use a boot disk that I had and get scandisk to work, but it took several tries. Many bad sectors. I got a copy of windows to reinstall at that time and got it going again.

It ran for about 6 months but the problem has occurred again. This time I could not get scandisk to finish, I kept getting out of memory errors about 43% of the way through, next I tried Norton Disk Doctor, but that also would not finish. So, I just tried to format the drive. I started a format at 2:00 in the afternoon and at 10:30 I got the message, ?not ready - format halted. During that time I noticed several messages, trying to recover allocations. I figured what the heck and started it over again and went to bed. This morning I had a formatted drive??.

I installed a copy of windows? me. It is up and running, I have done a thorough scan disk and it tells me I have. 4,216,800 kb total disk space and 868,352 bytes in bad sectors.

I suspect I have a failing hard drive, everything else seems to work ok.

My question is, how hard is it replace a hard drive in one of these things? Although, I am inclined to just see how long it keeps going at this point.

I have been to the Toshiba web site and the place they refer you to for parts wants $340.00 for an exact replacement. I have done a couple of searches and have found replacements for much less. I have yet to open this up and really have no experience with laptops at all.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Pat

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64