• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

COPPER SHIM CPU PROTECTOR?

Started by Thunderdog, March 07, 2004, 11:18 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderdog

Thermaltake A1594 COPPER SHIM CPU Protector  

OK, now what is this for? Im looking at overclocking eventually, so- Does I need one?

pat

Shims are generally made to help protect the CPU when mounting the heatsink/fan.
If you?re careful you don?t need one.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Wade777

dont get it.. just a waste of your money... just make sure you dont take out a hammer and hit your processor with it.
Need a custom computer?
Check out my website:
http://www.microhardcomputers.com

Shadow Lynx

I wouldn't buy one. I know it may feel like you need one when you put a heatsync on because you have to push pretty hard but as long as you push gently nothing should happen.

Mark H

Also, when you push down on the heat sink, apply even pressure.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Neon

Don't get it - it's not really worth it. Note that the Thermaltake A1594 is only compatible with Duron, Athlon, and AthlonXP EXCEPT for Barton. It is therefore not compatible with any of the latest processors, AthlonXP Barton core or Athlon 64.
Quote from: Mark H on March 07, 2004, 18:57 hrs
Also, when you push down on the heat sink, apply even pressure.

Mark H
No, don't push down on the heat sink, that can easily crush the core. The only pressure that is applied comes from the spring clip that is used to secure the heatsink.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Mark H

Quote from: Neon on March 07, 2004, 21:42 hrs
No, don't push down on the heat sink, that can easily crush the core. The only pressure that is applied comes from the spring clip that is used to secure the heatsink.

What I meant was when tightening it down if bolting through the motherboard by tightening each screw a little at a time as one should do a car wheel. Yes, definitely don't push down on it. I guess I was taking it for granted that everyone knew what I meant.

Mark H

Neon

Mark, I was just clarifying in case there was any doubt. More than a few folks have shed some tears (and/or expletives) after crushing the CPU core whilst trying to get the heatsink on.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Wade777

I dont even touch the heatsink when I am putting it on... other than to place it where it is going to be
Need a custom computer?
Check out my website:
http://www.microhardcomputers.com

Mark H

Quote from: Wade777 on March 08, 2004, 12:24 hrs
I dont even touch the heatsink when I am putting it on... other than to place it where it is going to be

Yep, same here. :)

Mark H